Whats the deal with false floors?

How would ya make one?

Matt_e
31st March 2007, 23:27
so you can put your amp under it and hide all the wires

Ozzieborne
31st March 2007, 23:32
Ahhhhhh i get it,

So how dya make it, just a sheet of MDF covered in carpet?

DJsaxo
31st March 2007, 23:34
yer and a simple frame to fix it to

Predator_R32
1st April 2007, 00:29
well on mine its just bits of 2 x 4 in between two bits of MDF

use the boot carpet as a basic template mate :y:

furioAL
1st April 2007, 00:31
A quick guide as to how i made mine:

Take your standard boot carpet out... lay it onto a sheet of mdf, draw around it and use it as a template for your boot... then decide how much you wish to raise your false floor by (has to be atleast the height of your amp) you need to buy some planks the same height as this, or as i did two smaller height planks... I screwed the two planks together to get the desired height...

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/3405/falsefloor7pv.jpg

Then rest your sub box on top of your mdf board, and draw around it, you will need to cut out this area... do the same for your amp if you wish to have an amp window...

Then drill through the mdf board in lines, and screw planks of the desired height wood to the false floor (represented by the red lines on the diagram above)...
Don't forget to cut a small notch out on the front middle to you can get your hand underneath it incase you ever need to remove it...
Then you need to offer up the false floor into your boot... i guarantee you it won't fit first time... as the boot gets narrower the higher you get, as you have raised the floor you will therefore have to trim the mdf board, don't forget to do it in small bits.. as you can always take more wood off, but you can't really put it back on!... You should have a small gap around the edge to allow for carpet..

Once you are satisfied with the fit of your false floor you can carpet it, or finish it in several ways.. i bought some bass box audio carpet from ebay - it was about £7 and was plenty to do the whole false floor...
Trim the capet out leaving an overlap and simply fold the carpet underneath the floor and tac it down - or you could probably use a staple gun.. work slowly making sure you pull the carpet tight as you go, otherwise you will get saggy bits!..

Then once fitted back in your car you should get something like this..
http://www.saxperience.com/members/furioAL/99Z1C_interior2.jpg
I put corner brackets in my amp window and have fitted a sheet of acrylic so the boot space is usable.. i have also mounted a neon on the underside of the floor so it shines on the amp and lights it up at night :) neons can be wired directly into the power supply of your amp, but will need to have a switch...

Think that has covered all of it! if you have any more questions just give me a shout :geek:

Hope that helps!
Alex
:afro:

Predator_R32
1st April 2007, 00:35
bloody hell lol

get it as a sticky :y:

furioAL
1st April 2007, 00:41
Lol its far too late to have written all that... i copied and pasted from a previous thread i replied to... :y:

Predator_R32
1st April 2007, 00:44
ahhhh right, nice little guide though :)

chesh
1st April 2007, 07:09
FurioAL,

Wicked guide mate!

Doesnt the amp get hot under the perspex? I would have thought it would have needed some sort of ventilation? Correct me if im wrong!

Thanks

Tom

BENSAX3
1st April 2007, 08:23
umm no always some people wire a pc fan under there and that dose the job

Predator_R32
1st April 2007, 11:52
yeah mate a few pc fans are under my floor :) only cost about 3 quid delivered

Ozzieborne
1st April 2007, 17:35
Loving the guide mate! Helped me out a hell of a lot!

Does the false floor rattle if u turn up the bass?

Predator_R32
1st April 2007, 17:52
not if you fix it in place mate, the sub wont make it vibrate , just its best that its secure for security and safety reasons

djrem
1st April 2007, 17:53
ive just started mine.

theres pretty much no chace it'll rattle

Ozzieborne
1st April 2007, 18:51
Ah right cool!

So you can cover it in the same stuff as the sub box?

Where can i get this stuff cheaply?

Matt_e
1st April 2007, 19:07
try ebay

Predator_R32
1st April 2007, 19:23
i got my carpet from ebau, i used the hard backed kind, which is more hard wearing in my opinion its best to use a staple gun for to cover it on the soft carpet/cloth use spray glue

Ozzieborne
1st April 2007, 20:49
Dya reckon you could give me a link for some carpet, i cant seem to find any on ebay :S

reevesy_vtr
1st April 2007, 22:01
just remember with the fans it is no good just having 1 has it will just push the hot air around. you need 2 fans, 1 to blow cold air onto the amp the other sould be used as an extracter so you are moving fresh air over the amps.

Predator_R32
1st April 2007, 22:23
heres the carpet, cloth is soft carpet has a backing ask the seller though first, its up to you what you get though mate

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.co.uk%2Fws %2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=acoustic+carpet&category0=

Ozzieborne
1st April 2007, 22:31
ok cheers mate :y: