PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 LIVE set-up

AdamW
2nd April 2007, 12:49
Had my 360 a fair while now...well i have had 2....won one in a poker comp..pow...

Need to get my live up and running.... and need some help as I have no info on the geekness u need to set these up.

Heres my situation....I have my Xbox upstairs in my room...I do have a phoneline in my room

Downstairs I have a PC (very dated and is not wireless enabled) with orange broadband which just plugs straights into phoneline no router or any other shit.

What would be my best option to get my live up and working by end of week and what is the cheapest way? Any help would be grateful

Richmt11
2nd April 2007, 12:59
Well im not 100% sure but i think you have to have a router. Dunno if theres any usb modems the Xbox can use but tbh its the best option to get a router.

I have my xbox connected wirelessly to the router which ive never had nay problems with. If the router is set up correctly you should be able to plug your Ethernet cable straight into the router and follow the onscreen instructions and then its all set up. Its as simple as that. And when i got my wireless adaptor for the 360 (£54.99 at the time on HMV.co.uk) this plugged into the back by USB and set it self up automatically, so personally ive had no troubles getting online with my 360.

The gear you will need + rough prices:

Wireless router with ethernet ports - £60
Wireless adaptor for 360 - £50
XBL gold membership - £30

the wireless router is simple to set up, depending what brand you buy. I personally brought a Cisco Systems one and simply followed the booklett which came with and no problems.

You could plug your PC in wired and then have the 360 wireless, otherwise you would have to have a very long cable.

Not a massive help as im not very technically minded, but tbh itll probably cost you in the region of £120 to get all the gear or so and setting up is simple on screen instructions. If your lucky like me it should go smoothly. But they say in the computer industry you get what you pay for. So if you skimp out on a complete budget cheapo router your prolly gonna have set up issues. At least thats what people have told me etc.

Hope this helps some.

Rich

AdamW
2nd April 2007, 13:04
Nice one mate......helps alot.....so best bet is to invest in a wireless router downstairs and plug my pc into that and then buy a wireless adaptor for my xbox 360 and then it should pick up the router itself? then run through on screen set-ups...Is Xbox live worth it?

djrem
2nd April 2007, 13:08
get the wireless router for convienece

If your laptop struggles with wireless connection from your room then go for the hard wire option of running an ethernet lead.

Ethernet cable is cheaper than Wireless adapter but more hassel hiding it under skirtings etc

Richmt11
2nd April 2007, 13:12
Yeah when you get the wireless router all set up, all you have to do is plug in the adaptor to the 360 and it does the same as if its wired for me jus connected straight away with no problems.

I would definately say that live is worth it, i ran it wired at first with my router downstairs and didnt go on the pc for a month, so the wireless adaptor was definately a worth while investment.

To be honest i only ever play games on live. Like take gears of war i completed it with a mate in co-op but have never done it solo i jus love playing it online. I play vegas a bit too but havent even finished the training mission in single player. I just prefer online play :)

AdamW
2nd April 2007, 13:22
Another quick question.....If I was to buy a bog standard router (non wire-less) and then just buy a length of ethernet cable and then run cable down to router downstairs would that also work?

Graeme
2nd April 2007, 13:22
yes it would as thats what im using at the moment lol

Clouds_mate
2nd April 2007, 13:23
yes,. But make sure the router is compatable with Xbox LIve.

AdamW
2nd April 2007, 13:24
yes,. But make sure the router is compatable with Xbox LIve.

How would I find that out?

Clouds_mate
2nd April 2007, 13:25
its on the xbox site, or do a search for it on google. Some router work but have to be a certain firmware.