PDA

View Full Version : rowing

tom187
15th June 2007, 09:40
What does rowing actually do for you? Like what muscles does it work obviously arms and legs but what exactly?

And could anyone reccomend one I could buy to use at home as i'm on a sparky apprenticeship now and long days = less gym time

THANNKYOUUUUUU :D

bullit
15th June 2007, 14:52
will work the whole body really. you can get fit on one but you cant really go mad on it and get your heart rate pounding. id go for a punchbag.

Ruddy
15th June 2007, 14:56
Works your lower back mostly I believe but its good for everything mate. As ^ the bullit says.

Predator_R32
15th June 2007, 14:59
an all over cardio exercise

great warm up exercise too :y:

do the 10,000 metres every few days and it will do you really good :y:

Ryan
15th June 2007, 15:06
can be potentially dangeros if incorrect technique is used.

rowing is very good for cardio, and every muscle in lower back/legs and the upper body when done correctly

BENSAX3
15th June 2007, 15:37
rowing is the best all round work out sport, use the concept 2, its the best one out there find a cheap second hand one. we have these in the roing club that i belong too. when you get one om me and i will talk you through the correct technique. i would really recommend one. i am going to be biased obviously but they really are the cest all round exercise machine

Predator_R32
15th June 2007, 16:38
tehres also levels of resistance dont go on the strongest one straight away, start off light and work your way up, id say about 3 - 4 to start off with :y:

bul69
15th June 2007, 16:42
rowing is the best all round work out sport, use the concept 2, its the best one out there find a cheap second hand one. we have these in the roing club that i belong too. when you get one om me and i will talk you through the correct technique. i would really recommend one. i am going to be biased obviously but they really are the cest all round exercise machine

concept 2 are on of the best types i have used, i use rowers most days of the week, i find this is one of the best exercises for your lower back, lats, as well as being one of best cardio exercises out there, also look for patented design rowers, cost a bit more, but more care is put into each one, not such a large production line, also have different things within the machine

tom187
15th June 2007, 22:09
I use the rowing machine every day at the gym after workk

atm i work as a lifeguard so the pool is next to the gym so its easy

but as i start my apprenticeship i wont have that sort of time to work out

looking for something i can use for about 20 mins every night combined with my free weights to try and keep fit

Also, could anyone PM me the proper technique, as ive just taught myself really lol

Thanks a lot for all your advice:y:

keep it coming ;)

Predator_R32
16th June 2007, 00:23
http://www.concept2.co.uk/training/technique.php#tog1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE0_PaRBXeA&mode=related&search=

jazzyc
16th June 2007, 14:06
concept 2 are on of the best types i have used, i use rowers most days of the week, i find this is one of the best exercises for your lower back, lats, as well as being one of best cardio exercises out there, also look for patented design rowers, cost a bit more, but more care is put into each one, not such a large production line, also have different things within the machine

I agree with the above, by far and away the best cardio machine in the gym. You often find though that a lot of people use it as a warm up exercise a) because it works the biggest muscle groups and b) its bloody hard work!

its an exercise that you have to learn over a period of goes to pace yourself on. Because it can be quite demanding a lot of people get off after about 4 mins because they have not eased into it and given themselfs adequate time to let their heart rates adjust to the demands put on it.

I used to do this sport in quite a big way and at the time of my most serious training i can honestly say i have never been so fit.

Use the monitor and adjust it to show meters rather than calories etc and make a mental note of your pace per 500m as you are rowing i .e 2.10. This basically shows you how hard you are working. Take the average throughout you workout then the next time you row do the same workout i.e 20 mins or 5000m and then try to keep at that pace. Over a period of sessions you will become more tollerant/fitter and be able to row at a harder pace i.e 2.08 your time for the distance i.e 5000m will become quicker and in tern you will be getting fitter:y:

cant praise this bit of kit enough

BENSAX3
20th June 2007, 15:25
the best thing to do is do half hour on it and just sit at a comfortable rate, top right of the screen (how fats you move on the machine. you will be knackered but it works very well

Scattle
21st June 2007, 11:51
Rowers are very good, I normally do 5000 metres every time I go to the gym, which is 3 days a week, it's normally on resistance 10 and just at a steady pace, very good exercise.