Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Blogs > Simo' Says...

I intend to use my blog to keep you informed of things happening with my car(s) and anything in life I find interesting, unusual or worthy of sharing! Please check back regularly to see what's been happening in the world of Simo
Rate this Entry

Gearbox Change & New Toys!

Submit "Gearbox Change & New Toys!" to Google Submit "Gearbox Change & New Toys!" to Facebook Submit "Gearbox Change & New Toys!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Gearbox Change & New Toys!" to Digg Submit "Gearbox Change & New Toys!" to Twitter
Posted 30th August 2008 at 23:42 by Simo

Just before the French Car Show myself and DannySp8 fitted a new gearbox to my VTS , as the old box had suffered from a damaged crown wheel (again). It was a bit of a rush job to colelct a gearbox and fit it before booking the car for an MOT.

Unfortunately whilst fitting the box the clutch release bearing moved and became mis-aligned... meaning that the clutch was slipping constantly when driving - the car missed the FCS event

Anyway... in preparation for TRAX I am doing the same job(s), only this time, instead of the luxury of a ramp in a garage, I'm fdoing it on the driveway at home

Myself and Graeme went to collect the parts we needed yesterday, including a new clutch release bearing, as my previous one has been in situ for about 4 years. I treated myself to a new set of axle stands and a proper garage-style trolley jack! It wasn't cheap, but I'm absolutely chuffed with it! I can't believe Ive gone without a proper trolley jack for so long!

Once back at home, we began to raise the car... it needed to be pretty high to be able to swing the gearbox out of the way - I must admit though, at one point, with the car balancing I thought it was going to go horribly wrong

The car was made secure with 4-axle stands, then we dove under to rip off the driveshafts and begin to get the gearbox removed. The removal was the wasy bit!! Once the gearbox was off, we noticed the new clutch release bearing was nothing like the existing one! It was oging dark and we needed to make a quick decision... After checking with yerdusk he confirmed the one I picked up from Citroen was a std VTS bearing... so we went along with the thinking that the existing bearing was an uprated jobbie installed by GMC Motorsport... I do think & hope this is the case, as the existing bearing was re-fitted!

To be honest, myself and Graeme struggled to align the gearbox during re-fitting and the light was fading fast. At about 9:30pm we gave up, with the box held on by one bolt!

After I got back from work today I tried to re-fit the gearbox on my own. Being concerned about the alignment of the release bearing I sneeked a look inside the box with it hanging in place. It looks and feels like its right, but only time will tell I guess! It better be aligned right! LOL.

After messing around for a while with the height of the engine and the semi-installed gearbox, I finally managed to get the bolts to line up. Its a tricky job whilst lay on your back beneath the gearbox, as you;re in the wrong position to lift!

Tomorrow I need to re-fit the driveshafts and put the oil in the box... then fit the new oil cooler and hope its installed OK.

Then I'll have to book an MOT, hope it passes... then tax it and then hopefully it will be at Silverstone on the 7th September for TRAX.

Why do I always end up doing everything last minute?!!

Everyone cross your fingers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1929.jpg (46.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1935.jpg (117.8 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1937.jpg (159.3 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1943.jpg (113.8 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1944.jpg (126.7 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1948.jpg (129.2 KB, 73 views)
Views 10798 Comments 13
« Space?     Main     Laminate... »
Total Comments 13

Comments

1. Old Comment
    at least you started a week before a car show instead of the night before... remember a respray

Well good luck with it man. Look forward to seeing the car again - you tracking it?
  2. Old Comment
    Oh how it looks like a rough area of brighton with a car up on axel stands....

Schweeeet, hope it all falls into place for you
    Posted 31st August 2008 at 17:54 by MikeCracknell MikeCracknell is offline
  3. Old Comment
    hope you make it mate!

I hate the feeling of not having your car at a show lol
  4. Old Comment
    Rang up Citroen from work this evening to check they would refund the release bearing even though it was a special order... they said they would, so I shot down there before they closed. When I got there I bought some clips for the side skirts and enquired about the price for a pair of droplinks, as the rubbers are slightly perished.

After finding out Citroen want £78 for a pair of drop links, I declined politely and asked to buy the skirt clips and get a refund on the release bearing. The same guy (Mike) then said he didnt think his boss would authorise a refund... WTF? Why do you think I phoned before coming down here?!

Anyway - waiting for MIkes boss to ring me back tomorrow to see if they will refund or not. I then trecked back across town to Andrew Pages, where I collected a pair of drop links using the Saxperience discount code for £24ish. Result!

After leaving Andrew Pages I went to see my friendly MOT test guy... Ive booked the VTS in for Wednesday morning. Fingers crossed!

Just going to fit the drop links and lower the car off the axle stands and HOPE the release bearing is properly aligned this time.

NOTE TO SELF - I still need to fit my new oil-cooler too. PLease dont forget. LOL.
  5. Old Comment
    good read, bit ahead of time this one.

Was a little busy this weekend, otherwise could have leant a hand...

Will send you a PM now about transformer.
  6. Old Comment
    Well, Ive put it all back together tonight ready for the MOT in the morning and the gearbox is still slipping terribly!

Looks like the box may be dead and doesn't look like my car will be ready to attend TRAX. Gutted!!

I spent until 11pm last night arsing around fitting the anto-rollbar drop links in the dark too
  7. Old Comment
    Did it go in for MOT today Simo? What was the outcome?

Hopefully you will get it sorted mate! Shame i wont be attending trax to see it if it does get sorted!
    Posted 3rd September 2008 at 10:17 by mattchewone mattchewone is offline
  8. Old Comment
    Nightmare!

Borrow the white vtr box of craig!!! not sure if he would be too keen mind, but could get one on it quickly then!

May be worth RAC cover in advance of TRAX if it is going so if it breaks you have a less expensive method of getting it to Warrington!
  9. Old Comment
    I called in at the MOT station this morning and cancelled it... Im not going to have time to pickup and fit a new box before the weekend, so no point risking the box failing completely on the way to the MOT.

Will have to goto TRAX in the Megane instead

Can't knock me for trying though.. spent all weekend under that car. lol.
  10. Old Comment
    Credit to you though for trying.

Life can be a bitch at times, but just make sure you don't leave it till last minute at FCS 2009

I missed seeing the Megane anyway.

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks