Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Blogs > Simo' Says...

I intend to use my blog to keep you informed of things happening with my car(s) and anything in life I find interesting, unusual or worthy of sharing! Please check back regularly to see what's been happening in the world of Simo
Rate this Entry

A Dead Driveshaft & Crown Wheel

Submit "A Dead Driveshaft & Crown Wheel" to Google Submit "A Dead Driveshaft & Crown Wheel" to Facebook Submit "A Dead Driveshaft & Crown Wheel" to StumbleUpon Submit "A Dead Driveshaft & Crown Wheel" to Digg Submit "A Dead Driveshaft & Crown Wheel" to Twitter
Posted 31st January 2010 at 20:42 by Simo

September 2004... Shafted?

After getting the car back from Sabre Auto Styling, I had to travel upto Glasgow the very next day. I had noticed a clunk/shudder had started to happen, but only when I accelerated HARD in either 1st or 2nd gear? Odd, I thought...

Just before leaving for Glasgow I noticed a small puddle of oil/grease on my driveway. A quick look under the car showed that I had managed to burst the inner CV gaitor on the passenger side driveshaft! Gutted.

I left the car for a week whilst I was away then ordered a replacement driveshaft upon my return. I changed the driveshaft and took the car for a test drive... the shudder/shake was still happening in 1st and 2nd gear? Weird!

I started to suspect that the problem was more severe and that the damaged driveshaft was an effect of the real problem and NOT the cause itself. A damaged gearbox was bound to be favourite, as that is definately the weak point on the car... and to be honest, it's had quite a hard life

After a whole weekend of trying to diagnose the problem with the transmission, I gave up and headed off to work in the car on Monday morning. Half way to work I started to lose drive? That was odd, as it felt as though the clutch was slipping, but there was no smell, which is common with a slipping clutch? Another half a mile down the road and the car would not drive in any gear... total slippage!

I called the RAC and asked them to recover my car to the garage of my choice... GMC Motorsport. I had already booked my car into GMC to have some rolling road work done, so it seemed like a good opportunity to get the car up there and fix the transmission also!

After dismantling the transmission, it appears that the crown wheel had fallen off the diff'... great! GMC Motorsport are carrying out the repairs needed and fitting a replacement VTS gearbox, which has only covered 4000 miles! More news soon.

For future reference, if your driveshaft gaitors are twisting and cauing grease to squeeze out, the road wheels and the gearbox shaft must be rotating at different speeds. In my case, this was a slipping crown wheel, hence losing drive!

Views 5446 Comments 2
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    im so glad i came across this its diagnosed my problem for me i have this same problem shuddering in only 1st and 2nd and the car not feeling as fast as it should plus my inner passenger side gaitor has all of a sudden split..looks like a new gearbox for me sax is needed......
  2. Old Comment
    Another half a mile down the road and the car would not drive in any gear... total slippage!

I can recall the same experience when I started losing drive. If I haven't second-guessed that my clutch was slipping, I wouldn't have known something was wrong because there was no smell. I immediately went to a dealership and obtained a clutch kit replacement.
    Posted 7th April 2011 at 01:31 by brandonmillsap brandonmillsap is offline

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks