Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Blogs > Simo' Says...

I intend to use my blog to keep you informed of things happening with my car(s) and anything in life I find interesting, unusual or worthy of sharing! Please check back regularly to see what's been happening in the world of Simo
Rate this Entry

A Turbo VTS is born...

Submit "A Turbo VTS is born..." to Google Submit "A Turbo VTS is born..." to Facebook Submit "A Turbo VTS is born..." to StumbleUpon Submit "A Turbo VTS is born..." to Digg Submit "A Turbo VTS is born..." to Twitter
Posted 12th May 2009 at 01:10 by Simo

August 2000... So What's next?

At this point, I had my Saxo tested on a rolling road at Automech in Irlam. The result was 138bhp at the flywheel... A healthy increase from the stock 120bhp, but was this enough? NO was the answer!

I was now faced with a dilema... with options of throttle bodies, nitrous injection, turbo charging or a supercharger conversion. The choice was not easy! What direction did I want to take my car!?

I got on the phone again to Gary at Saxo Sports Tuning (SST) and asked his opinion of the turbo charging route. As it happened, he was looking for a demo car for his pilot turbo VTS conversion and after a couple more phone calls, my car was booked in as the VTS turbo prototype. Soon enought my car was dropped off at SST HQ at Brotton and a few of the finer details were agreed.

A couple of weeks later I got a call from Gary to say that the car was ready. I nipped back across country to meet Gary and Martin at Teeside Motor Factors in Middlesborough, situated just beside the train station. I was shown the Dyno printout, which revealed that the car was pushing out 175bhp at the flywheel... and that was only at 6psi boost. The conversion was a bit rough and ready and we agreed there was more work to do to get things setup better.

October 2000... The first casualty

Within a week of thrashing my turbocharged car around, the clutch decided to let go - shows the standard item isn't upto much once you start playing with the engine! A more substantial item was required. The car went back to SST where Gary fitted an OMP 4-paddle clutch and just for good measure he slapped on a pair of EBC Turbo Groove discs from a Pug GTi-6 (287mm discs). This was a totally fresh mod' at the time!

Many people would now step back and enjoy the fruits of their hard work, but I can't rest just yet... The car goes back to SST at the end of January 2001 to have an intercooler fitted and the ignition/fuel MAP fine tuned.

My plans for the future also include...
- A lairy exhaust to give deep turbo whizz.
- Low compression pistons, so that the boost can be raised slightly.
- A lush set of race seats.

'Revs' magazine caught wind of the birth of the UK's first turbocharged VTS and wanted to be there and watch it take it's first steps. A photoshoot was briskly arranged, and the rest as they say is history. The feature appears in the February 2001 issue of 'Revs' magazine. Check it out, and let me know what you think!

Views 3114 Comments 0
Total Comments 0

Comments

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks