Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Blogs > Simo' Says...

I intend to use my blog to keep you informed of things happening with my car(s) and anything in life I find interesting, unusual or worthy of sharing! Please check back regularly to see what's been happening in the world of Simo
Rate this Entry

Space?

Submit "Space?" to Google Submit "Space?" to Facebook Submit "Space?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Space?" to Digg Submit "Space?" to Twitter
Posted 30th August 2008 at 22:55 by Simo

After 2 weeks off on holiday today was my first day back into work! Boo...

I had to go in to authorise an important job to proceed. I thought I'd do a very brief blog as it involves a topic most people probably won't think about too much : - Confined Space Entry.

We've had to take a reactor offline at the plant as about 8 months ago the steam heating coil within the tank ruptured and caused lots of problems. ITs taken a long time to get money approved to replace it and for the exotic materials to be made, etc. I'm glad its getting fixed, put it that way!

Over the next 7 days a team of guys will be inside the vessel welding a new steam coil (fancy stainless steel pipe) in situ. I/We take safety very seriously and a rescue plan and detailed instructions have had to be produced.

Unfrotunately the scaffolders that arrived to board out the bottom of the reactor failed on Question 1 today... "can you prove to me that you are trained to enter a confined space". After a quick trip home, the guys came back with their test certificates and we could get the job moving. Although my quick hour or two in work turned into a long 6 hours.

The vessel is used for dissolving solids in a very corrosive fluid, so its not a pretty place to spend the next week. I have the guys doing further de-contamination over night to make extra sure there's going to be no surprises when the welding starts tomorrow.

Heres a couple of piccies of the tank... its not been cleaned for about 13 years. The pics show the scaffold being erected.

May get some more progress pics

A bit random I know... but thats the beauty of this Blog feature!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0119.jpg (53.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0124_r.jpg (54.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0125_r.jpg (58.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0127.jpg (59.3 KB, 11 views)
Posted in Simo' Says...
Views 5755 Comments 5
Total Comments 5

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Things like this scare the shite out of me!

Looks interesting though!
    Posted 30th August 2008 at 23:13 by MikeCracknell MikeCracknell is offline
  2. Old Comment
    Looks quite interesting.

Stuff going back to work on a Saturday though lol.
  3. Old Comment
    hmmmm.........
    confined space
    corrosive stuff
    possible death

I like it got any jobs going???
  4. Old Comment
    pretty cool, did you go in and down to the bottom?

Wouldn't like to be in there if those mixers where spinning, they look like they could do some damage!

Working for my uncle years back at shopping centres doing the air condition you had to get into the service rooms through very cramped trap doors, once inside there where the massive Air Con units in ver little space! It was only tall enought for the machines and you had to crall around everywhere, no standing room or room to squat in! The duct work all weaved in an out... tbh I'm pretty sure if there was a fire there would be no way in hell you could get out! Bloody cool in them though!
  5. Old Comment
    where are the super cool photos of the dudes welding away! lol

how's it all gone?

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks