Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Blogs > Mk1 16v TB'd Westcoast

My one and only saxo so far - have replaced pretty much everything on it at one point during ownership!! Still feels tight to drive and is always enjoyable !
Rate this Entry

Started doing my Head in .........

Submit "Started doing my Head in ........." to Google Submit "Started doing my Head in ........." to Facebook Submit "Started doing my Head in ........." to StumbleUpon Submit "Started doing my Head in ........." to Digg Submit "Started doing my Head in ........." to Twitter
Posted 1st February 2010 at 15:58 by raunchz
Updated 17th February 2010 at 12:29 by raunchz

Having finally got some time to fit some parts to the car, I started with changing over the headgasket.

This meant time for another new cambelt. Whilst it was off I decided to give it an oil change and new filter, coolant flush, new plugs, cambelt and thermostat. Moreover, I had purchased some lockable aerocatches which I planned on fitting asap to help improve the look of the front of the car.

I wanted to keep ontop of the maintenance side of the car, so that it wouldn't let me down as I'd replace parts in anticipation of them failing. In hindsight this was possibly not the best thing to do as it ended up costing me a fair bit - but I feel it's a good philosophy to have.

I changed the headgasket with no problems

The car started up fine and felt as it normally did. I went back to work in Bristol - two weeks later I pulled gently away from a roundabout in Swindon and the car immediately sounded like a diesel with a top end knocking. Within around 15 seconds I'd turned the engine off and was coasting into a garage (lucky it was there tbh)

I didn't want to do more damage so I got it towed back home

It was now around 1 week before Trax where I had booked a session on the track on the Grand Prix circuit. I was uber looking forward to it so I decided to take the head off the car and see what'd broken and attempt to fix it before Trax.

Having looked at it, the cambelt had skipped 2 teeth on the exhaust camshaft and I was unsure about the inlet side of things.

I pulled the head off to find not a lot of damage. The exhaust valves had small marks on them, but all looked straight and good to go.

I didn't want to risk it, so I decided to pull the head apart, check the valves properly, new seals allround and then put it back together. The valves were all okay, I lapped them all in and de-coked the head

I took this opportunity to fit the Helix flywheel and put the S2 gearbox on.

I de-coked the top of the pistons, and the bores all looked good.

I decided to replace as much parts as I could with parts from Citroen to ensure that it would run perfect again. I bought new:
- headgasket
- headbolts
- thermostat
- oil and oil filter (Silkolene Pro S with Citroen Filter)
- cambelt (conti)
- waterpump
- tensioner and idler pulley (conti)
- alternator belt (conti)

Upon fitting them all, I found out that the waterpump bearing had gone, and I presume caused the cambelt to jump the teeth. It was a non-oem waterpump, hence I spent £££ going OEM with the above parts. Even if these Citroen parts were made by the same manufacturer as the non-oem parts I'd fitted before, I had piece of mind in fitting them.

Whilst waiting on parts, I fitted the oil cooler ready for Trax

Luckily the car ran like a dream, and I made it to Trax and had a good session on the track
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 5479 Comments 1
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Great acquisition of new auto parts for your citroen. Of course how can you ever go wrong fitting Citroen auto parts even if they were made by the same manufacturer as non-oem parts you've fitted before. Thanks for sharing mate.