Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum

Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/index.php)
-   Saxo Problems & Queries (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How do i adjust my handbrake? (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58514)

sebm26999 13th December 2006 13:30

How do i adjust my handbrake?

my handbrake has come a little loose, dont think it needs new pads just needs tightening ?

help would be much appreciated thanks
its for a 1.1 by the way

Karl 13th December 2006 13:45

try this.
Turn on engine, put foot on brake.
Push handbrake button in, and continously pull up handbrake til you feel tension then repeat.

antiks 13th December 2006 13:46

rear wheels need to be off the ground to do this so make sure you chock the front wheels to stop the car rolling forwards.
release handbrake and follow instructions.
you need to get under your car and slacken and withdraw the securing screws and slide the exhaust heat sheild towards the front of the car (no need to remove it).
if your car has a centre silencer it will be nessesary to unbolt and remove the section of the exhaust system containing the centre silencer to gain acces to the heatsheild screws.
then slacken the adjuster nut on the hand brake cable till the wheels turn freely, then go inside car and raise handbrake to the 4th click on hand brake.then tighten the adjuster nut untill you get slight resistence as the rear wheels are turned. then when you raise handbrake it should fully lock the rear wheels on the 7th click of handbrake.
then release handbrake and cheack that wheels turn freely by hand.

hesslevtr 13th December 2006 15:23

as said above

but isnt when it clicks the 3rd time it should be done

boz 13th December 2006 16:44

yep, for the mot test. the hand brake should hold the weight of the car when it has 3 clicks.

it can be fiddly to adjust and you will need to chock the car up at the rear and or on axle stands, the tighten the adjuster under the car. you could take it to the likes of kwick fit or national and the will do it for you in a few mins. i have had mine done for free at both of the mentioned places.

Tretty 24th August 2009 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl (Post 806318)
try this.
Turn on engine, put foot on brake.
Push handbrake button in, and continously pull up handbrake til you feel tension then repeat.

does this actually work?

Howard-H 14th November 2009 16:33

VTR 51 Plate......Nope!

dexter 14th November 2009 23:33

jack up back of car and take drums of. 32mm bolt. pull handbrake up slowly until u hear rufly 3 clicks let handbrake of then put drums back on and it should be ajusted. sumtimes handbrake doesnt ajust up as ajusters usualy wear. had 4 saxos with woren ajusters. its a pain

funkysax 13th January 2013 11:54

Justchanged rear pads. Tiny amount of drag. Hot pad smell sometimes. Do i REALLY have to remive the exhaughst to adjust this? Rear locks on one click. Is it dangerous atm? Thanks

funkysax 13th January 2013 12:18

You can tell I posted that on my phone eh?
Its a 1.6 VTR 03 plate. Seriuosly, guys exhaust off the adjust hand brake??? What sort of muppet would design that.... Oh yeah its a shitroen
Wifey doing 100 miles on motorway today, just check my pad change and though I might not have screwed in the pistone enough (another weird design I didnt know about). BTW even with a (very) slight drag the rear pads are not bedded in yet (changed 2 weeks or so ago).
Then realised about the one click hand brake.
Thanks peeps

skymon 27th July 2014 09:49

handbrake cables uneven tensions

Can anyone shed some light as to why my handbrake cables are seriously uneven tensions, and hpw to adjust individually?