Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum

Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/index.php)
-   Suggestions / Improvements / Feedback (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Hate To Say It But..... (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224102)

-Jason- 20th April 2009 01:56

Hate To Say It But.....

An idea on 106owners where when you go to create a new thread you click submit and then it gives you a list at the top of threads that have already been posted that match keywords so hopefully aid in having less reposts?

Dont know how technical this would be to impliment but as 106owners is pap cant be that hard ;)

titchster 20th April 2009 06:57

Just dont forget to take into consideration, no one actually uses that, there's still plenty of threads everyday which've been brought up before.

Mochachino 20th April 2009 07:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by titchster (Post 3223949)
Just dont forget to take into consideration, no one actually uses that, there's still plenty of threads everyday which've been brought up before.

exactly, like the search function is there n no one uses that.

-Jason- 20th April 2009 09:40

Just thought that if they pop up on the screen people can see and click on them so they open in a new window and see if its the same?

Peejous 20th April 2009 09:51

*Create new thread*
*Insert thread title*
"My new Saxo VTR"

Your thread title has already been used please try again.

-Jason- 20th April 2009 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peejous (Post 3224164)
*Create new thread*
*Insert thread title*
"My new Saxo VTR"

Your thread title has already been used please try again.

It doesnt stop you just like reloads the page with the suggestions at the top you can still post it but have to click twice ;)

Simo 20th April 2009 10:43

We used to have a similar thread match after posting... doing it before posting is not that tricky.

I removed the similar thread match however, as generally people weren't using it and it also gave big issues with posting titles with lots of small words in it (heavy drain on server scanning post titles with words like "the" in it. Limiting it to 4-character words or more makes it less usable anyway.

I'll reserve judgement, but don't think I will be implementing this due to my comment above.

-Jason- 20th April 2009 10:57

Could you not just have keywords rather then searching for "a" and "the".

Like "Premium" "Dials" "Gearbox" "Lowering" etc?

Simo 20th April 2009 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Jason- (Post 3224342)
Could you not just have keywords rather then searching for "a" and "the".

Like "Premium" "Dials" "Gearbox" "Lowering" etc?

Yes and the easy way to do that is to limit word length... say 4 letters.

But then in your example "My new Saxo VTR", only the word Saxo would qualify... that'd bring up thousands of posts - so whats the benefit?

To make is worthwhile you'd have to restrict character length and ignore common words such as saxo, vtr, vts, etc, etc...

I personally dont think its that beneficial.

-Jason- 20th April 2009 11:14

No maybe not but can you not limit to to sections like general, engine, sus etc?

As would not need it in the for sale or photo section?

Simo 20th April 2009 11:18

Yes, thats also possible. But I fundamentally dont agree with it.

The most server intensive script on this website is the search page. By incorporating the system you want into the post scripts, effectively a search is done everytime anyone tries to post a new thread.

This may be more convenient than pressing the search button, but its not the best use of server processor power.

-Jason- 20th April 2009 11:35

Ok just an idea