Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum

Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/index.php)
-   Saxo Problems & Queries (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Garage blew up my engine! (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409212)

Savage23 11th January 2012 07:14

Garage blew up my engine!

I bought some newman cams and new cam followers for my vts and got a local garage to fit them on Monday. Then they ring my yesterday and say when they fitted them and started it the engine blew up and broke the inlet manifold aswell. And there trying to blame the parts I bought but I've checked and there the right parts. Does anybody know what they could of done for it to do that? So when I go down there I can say what they might have done wrong. Thanks.

JAGVTS 11th January 2012 07:50

My 2pence worth is the timing .

saxovtrmk1 11th January 2012 07:53

engine

My guess would be timing as well

Kenobi 11th January 2012 07:56

Legally though where does he stand?

I mean I know from personal experience to trade they must have insurance.

Is the garage to know or even check that the parts are correct before fitting? who is responsible?

devilsadvocate 11th January 2012 07:56

Need more details on the term 'blown up'.....what are they saying is actually wrong with it?

marrygold 11th January 2012 07:57

got to be cam belt out

Savage23 11th January 2012 08:10

They said the valves and inlet manifold are broke. The cambelt and followers where the right parts I went and checked last night. And it was a Newman cam.

holdawayt 11th January 2012 08:57

Doesn't matter if the belt was the right part, sounds like they messed up the timing although I doubt this would "Blow up" the engine as such.

Gandi699 11th January 2012 09:05

Also sounds like they didnt try to turn it over by hand first?!

Manu 11th January 2012 09:38

http://www.motorcodes.co.uk/

Prickle 11th January 2012 09:44

Oh dear!

Did you at least tell them they werent normal cams? (just to be safe)

OMGASAXO 11th January 2012 11:28

So whos paying to get the engine fixd/replaced? :o

Ben_SaxoForte 11th January 2012 11:56

Sorry but this did kinda make me lol! gotta be their fault though right?

Saxo-KidNI 11th January 2012 12:22

sounds like timing was out

IMO They are at fault for not double checking everything was ok

Nick_j_r 11th January 2012 12:43

That is a nightmare mate, like said above they should have turned it over by hand first, timing probs out or timing belt could have skipped teeth from not being tensioned correctly?

devilsadvocate 11th January 2012 12:54

If it's fubared the valves then the timing is probably out.

Sounds like they ballsed it up and are trying to blame the parts you supplied.

I would only get something like aftermarket cams fitted but someone I know who had done them before, i.e one of the affiliates on here.

Savage23 11th January 2012 12:56

Yeah they knew they wasn't normal cams. I don't know who's paying yet I've got to go down tonight to see them. Thanks for the helpful comments, now i know more about it.

Brettles1986 11th January 2012 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage23 (Post 5748279)
Yeah they knew they wasn't normal cams. I don't know who's paying yet I've got to go down tonight to see them. Thanks for the helpful comments, now i know more about it.

I wouldn't accept blame if I was you, if you bought the parts new and the parts are to blame then its the manufacturers fault, if the parts were fine then its the garages fault, you took it to them because you needed someone professional who "knows what they are doing" to do it.

Fight it all the way mate :y:

Prickle 11th January 2012 13:02

Garage wont want to fit the bill of a engine and however much them cams are.

Id press on till they do..

Bedford126 11th January 2012 13:11

Ring citizens advice tell them what happened and ask for a advice query number. If the garage continue to blame the parts. Say to them the parts were not a issue when you agreed to fit them for £----- amount.

Then from there citizens advice will tell you the direction to claim from the garage's public liability if they have it. If not then you will have to try and go through there insurance (very complicated).

A mechanic at my work fucked up a focus rs engine (about 6 months ago) when fitting a stainless manifold and cams from puma speed. He set the timing up wrong and started it up instead of rotating the crank by hand. Because he did this its his fault so we had to pay up for a new engine re- build.