Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum

Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/index.php)
-   Saxo Engine/Performance (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Fitting a new sump gasket (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255744)

rudeboiross 6th September 2009 11:47

Fitting a new sump gasket

How easy it is to do this? Ive got some major oil leak and pretty sure this needs replacing.. any sort of through of how long it would take would be a great help.
Thanks x

J-Reid 6th September 2009 12:16

it isnt an actual gasket, its just a sealent 90% sure anyway mate

VTRelite 6th September 2009 13:16

on the base saxos they use a gasket i think its only the VTR/S that use sealant

I think all you gotta do is drain the engine oil, undo all the bolts on teh sump, take it off, give the contact surfaces a good clean with wire brush and solvent, put new gasket on and put it back onto the car and do up all the bolts and then torque them up to 30NM

(may also need to remove the downpipe)

rudeboiross 6th September 2009 21:04

Cheers.. My oil leak is dripping a fair few splodges on the floor each morning i go out there. Would it be alrite to drive for a while?

Tom5190 6th September 2009 21:09

there is a gasket available for all saxo engines iirc.... but its upto you (or who ever is fitting the gasket) if you want to fit a proper gasket or jsut use sealent.mine was on with sealent but i put a proper gasket on it when i changed it. its fairly easy todo, downpipe can be in the way but it can be done without removing it just got to wiggle the sump about to get it off. depends on the size of the leak if you want to drive it, just make sure your oil never drops too low. should take an hour nd half at the most if you have correct tools and abit of experience

Rossy-Boi 7th September 2009 12:46

yea its a pretty simple job... not much to get wrong... its even easier if you've got access to a pit... plus it makes it easier to dodge the oil drips lol..
i'm not a big fan of that instant gasket shit myself... so if it was me i'd get a propper one... nice thing is saxo engines only hold a fanny full of oil so its not expensive either...

McPikie 7th September 2009 12:49

Don't forget to run the engine up to temp first so the oil runs out easier. Makes life better......... just dont burn yourself, lol

Jeepster 29th August 2019 15:18

Sorry to resurrect this ancient thread, but do you not have to disconnect the down-pipe section of exhaust from the manifold (three nuts, plus the bolt that mounts the down-pipe to the gearbox underneath) to get proper access to all the sump bolts?

stevo67 30th August 2019 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom5190 (Post 3654179)
there is a gasket available for all saxo engines iirc.... but its upto you (or who ever is fitting the gasket) if you want to fit a proper gasket or jsut use sealent.mine was on with sealent but i put a proper gasket on it when i changed it. its fairly easy todo, downpipe can be in the way but it can be done without removing it just got to wiggle the sump about to get it off. depends on the size of the leak if you want to drive it, just make sure your oil never drops too low. should take an hour nd half at the most if you have correct tools and abit of experience

All in the thread.