Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum

Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/index.php)
-   Your Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Icelandic 16v VTR by the Big Duck (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452645)

Mickswan 21st June 2013 08:36

Icelandic 16v VTR by the Big Duck

I wasn't going to bother doing a progress thread but I may as well since I'm disabled at the minute.

So, story is I've been riding bikes since 2005 and was never really bothered about getting a motor until I broke my back in the Army last year. Since I couldn't ride any more I thought I'm going to have to get one.

I toyed with the idea of getting a 205 GTI but I knew if I wanted a mint one then I'd be paying big(ish) buck so I thought of Saxo's.

I'd always liked the saxos and I was 17 when they first come out and I remember everyone buying them as you got a years insurance with them and if you were over 21 you got free insurance on a VTR.

When I started looking I wanted either a VTR or a VTS as insurance was going to be £300 for either even though I've got no no claims.

I eventually found this unmolested VTR, it had one lady owner, full service history with 46,000 on the clock, full MOT and was clean apart from the below little problems.

Front alloys being in clip
Nasty stone chip on the o/s arch
Hole in the carpet where she'd been driving in heels
Drivers door wouldn't stay open
Drivers seat back rest moved about two inches
PAS pump was a little ropey
Was due a service
Wheels needed balancing

Probably paid a bit much for it at £900 but I knew it was mechanically sound.

Fixed most things which needed doing, sourcing bits from scrap yards and a PAS pump from a local Sax P member (didn't even know he was a member as I found it through Gumtree). Still looking for a wing if anyone can help.

Plans are probably to keep it as standard as possible with a few subtle mods.

I've done the following:

Poly ARB Bushes
Quick shift
Gear linkage
Head unit and speakers
New carpet
LED's in the clocks
New drop links
Timing belt, tensioner and water pump (to be on the safe side)
Ariel (got a cheap one, but I'm still looking for something better)

New Carpet for £5

I've got a set of VTS alloys which are being powder coated as I type this (got them in good nick for £10 a rim). I did have a 106 half leather interior in, but my back couldn't take it so had to go back to the rock hard original seats. The GTI interior is off to start a new life in Denmark.

Once I'm back to fighting fitness I'm going to replace the following, which I know will need doing soon:

Wishbones
Dampners
Springs
Rear Dampners
Strut top bearings
Wheel bearings (maybe)
Electric Mirrors (if I can find a switch, might just throw in a VTS interior)
I might upgrade the brakes as I think the standard ones are wank.
New clutch kit

About it really, I'll put a pic up when I get my wheels back from the powder coaters.

Luxie75 21st June 2013 10:13

I'd say £900 was a good buy

Mickswan 21st June 2013 11:58

I thought that at the time, but when I looked into what there changing hands for I thought I might have overpaid by £200, but as its unmolested and more or less been taken care of I though it was ok. She wanted £1500 originally.

Woman I got it from only sold it private as a garage would only give her £300 part ex on her new X5. Well that was her patter anyway.

Luxie75 21st June 2013 20:16

You got a bargain there if you ask me bud

Mickswan 8th July 2013 23:09

Update on my motor, been grafting away on it today and made some progress sorting out majority of the remaining issues it has along with uncovering a new problem.

So with the weather being good and being bored I got cracking, initial plan for today was to replace the wishbones, dampners, springs and top strut bearings.

Jacked it up, wheels off removed all the wishbone bolts and some were a right bastard to get off. When I lifted the carpet the soundproofing was in tact so the wishbones or ball joints had never been done. Just as well after I took the wishbones off the ball joints were clearly shagged.

Out with the old

Next up, struts off. Bit of a arse on by myself but used a trolley jack to take the weight and the came off no bother.

Once I had the strut off I noticed that the jubile clip on my cv boot was missing, had a quick look inside and it was empty. I was surprised as I've had the wheels off a few times and none off the telltale signs of brown gunk in the inside of my rims.

Biggest ballache of the day, 12 mile round bus ride to halfords so get a jubile clip seeing as my car was in bits.

Home, cv boot packed with grease and clipped up. Jobs a good one.

As I finished this, my old man came home so rather than get the spring compresers out I chucked the struts and new bits in his motor and took them to my mates garage. £10 and 30 minutes later the new dampners, springs and top bearings were done.

Refitted the struts and got the new wishbones out.

In with the new

Keeping a long story long all back together, I even fitted a lower strut brace for shits and giggles. Giggles it wasn't when I tried to drive it off the driveway and bang (slightly exaggerated), this little bastard hit the lower brace.

Made a little ramp and drama averted.

Final result of today, a little lower at the front however my car is now mechanically sound. Plus it looks like sorting the CV boot issue has got rid of the knocking on full lock.

Next on the list is fit my upper brace, again for shits and giggles and i should have my S wheels back from the powder coaters this week.

Plans after that are

Lower the back end a little
S interior
Electric mirrors
Fit new wing when it arrives
Maybe upgrade the brakes

My plans for keeping it standard have gone out the window, but why not.

saxokid100 11th July 2013 04:55

Nice project...

Paul 11th July 2013 05:21

Looks very tidy and one of my favourite colours! I would say you got it for a very fair price.

I feel the lower strut brace is one of the best mods you can do to saxos/106s for bang for buck. You really can feel the difference, should feel nice and tight especially with new wishbones at same time.

Definately a progress thread i'll keep my eye on, keep the updates coming :y:

Mickswan 11th July 2013 06:11

I've had it on for a few days now and I do notice the difference. What I should have done is drive it with the new parts and without the brace for a few days so when I did put the brace on I'd have a comparison.

As you said bang for your buck wise I'm quite happy since it was a second hand brace from a local member for £20. I'll have to fit the upper one today just so it's not lying in the boot for three more weeks.

Gandi699 11th July 2013 09:48

Did you fit uprated bushes to the lower arms? thats a worthwhile mod as people say you wont get the benefit of the lower brace using the standard bushes

Mickswan 11th July 2013 10:52

I'm going to upgrade the bushes on the old wishbones I took off since there still good (I only decided to do this when I took them off and seen the condition), but it'll be a in a few months when I get a bit more cash together.

I need the car on the road so the new wishbones are temp thing until I can get new ball joints pressed in the old ones when I next go to my mates garage.

I've already done the ARB bushes as the old rubber ones were really bad. Probably rubber rota due to lack of driving by the old owner.

Gandi699 11th July 2013 12:02

if they are a bit crusty it should be easier to get them out I guess!

Mickswan 11th July 2013 12:27

I'll take them out, clean the old arms up give them a lick of paint before the get built back up. I've just checked in the shed so no rush really.

saxokid100 11th July 2013 14:53

Will be good with full polly bushes fitted!! big differance...

Mickswan 12th July 2013 22:18

Few quick jobs today:

K&N panel filter from the freebies section, a can of K&N spray for five quid and happy days.

Relocated the fuel cut off and fitted the upper strut brace.

That is all.

mlawlan69 12th July 2013 22:31

here is how my icelandic died after a conversion, best colour for a sax easy and quite rare (kind of)

good luck with your project, i miss mine so fucking much despite now having a supercharged mini!!

Mickswan 16th July 2013 15:11

Another quick update, mixed emotions!

The bad:

Upper strut brace fitted and fuel cut off relocated on Saturday.

On Monday I had to cut the lower strut brace to get it off, one of the cups was seriously fucked! The now fully damaged cup was a little misshaped when I got it, second hand parts and a dodgy description.

So upper brace came off and as its pointless without a lower brace. I can seriously notice the different in the handling.

Now the good:

GTI gear knob and new leather gaitor fitted. Much better than standard.

New boots Toyo TR1's arrived today, going to put these on my freshly powder coated S rims when I pick them up Thursday when my new wheel bolts turn up. I know there not the best tyres on the world but there within my budget and I'm just going to use them as Summer wheels and as soon the weather turns the R rims will be back on.

Little done, but the new wheels will have a big impact. A good used wing will be turning up in the next few days so I can swap it with the old one with a chip in it.

Going to get started on the grill and boot lid badges this week, get it sprayed up and smarted the front end.

Mickswan 16th July 2013 23:29

Wheels confirmed for tomorrow!! Finally!

Mickswan 22nd July 2013 18:58

Well finally got my wheels fitted today, happy with the results as the old crusty R wheels are off. Probably not everyone's cup of tea.

Before

After

Next up will be a painted grill and the boot badges done. Might get them done this week if I get the time. Oh yeah and my replacement wing.

Oli-VTR 22nd July 2013 19:11

Love the wheels, had whites on my Icelandic for a while. What reg were you in btw?

Nevermind just saw your pic, not with it today!

Sophia_Bush 22nd July 2013 19:32

looks like a nice clean example

digging the "ex-prickle" stance to