Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum

Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/index.php)
-   Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   How-to-Guide: Replacing Wishbones (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294486)

Chris_O 28th February 2010 15:23

How-to-Guide: Replacing Wishbones

Even though this didn't solve the problem of the knocking on my vts, I thought I would make a guide for this because I couldn't find a proper one with pictures when I was looking before. It's not a particularly hard to job to do, but some bits are just fiddly. It took me about 2 hours to do both sides. Here it is in easy steps...

Tools

Jack
Axel stands (optional, but safer!)
17 and 18mm sockets
17mm deep set socket
Spanners (like a dick can't remember the sizes but around 17/18!)
Hammer
Stanley knife
WD-40 (or any other penetrating fluid)
New pinch bolts for the ball joint. Can get these from Citroen for about a pound each.
Part number for pinch bolt: 352243
Part number for self locking nut: 362230

Guide

Start off by loosening the wheel nuts, and jacking the front of the car up. You can use 2 axel stands and get the whole front up, but I decided to do one side at a time. Take off the wheel.

First off you have to loosen the nut where the ball joint is. If you're finding this difficult, spray on some penetrating fluid such as WD-40 and return in 5 or so minutes.

Then locate the bolt that goes through the bush part of the wishbone, and spray on some WD-40

Then proceed to loosen this nut off using a spanner and an 18mm socket.

Next you have to access the 2 bolts that are found in the front footwells.
First off undo this bolt here

Then remove the rubber seal strip, and loosen the metal clips that hold the carpet in place

Lift the carpet forward to reveal a black flap and lift this up. Below it you should see some foam that you need to cut through with a stanley knife. If the wishbones have been changed on your car before, this foam will already be cut.

This will reveal 2 nuts, undo these using a 17mm deep set socket.

Get back under the car and completely undo and take out the pinch bolt where the balljoint is.

Once this is out, do the same to bolt that goes through the bush. I re-used this bolt so kept all the washers and bits in a safe place.

You are now ready to reomve the wishbone. If this proves difficult, use a hammer to aid you and hit the wishbone downwards. This is probably the easiest position to do this from.

Old vs New

Now you are ready to fit the new wishbone. I found this the most fiddly part but you will get there in the end!

Offer the wishbone up, hammer the ball joint end back into the hole where it come out from, and locate the bolts on the other end through the holes in the footwell. I then put the 2 nuts on finger tight in the footwell to stop them falling through.

For the next bit you use whatever method takes your fancy, but i decided to use a jack to get the bush part of the wishbone back in place to put the bolt back through.

Once this bolt is through, tighten it up and do the same to the 2 bolts in the footwell.

Then take your new pinchbolt, as you can see the old ones a touch rusty!

To make sure the ball joint part of the new wish bone is in far enough, use a hammer , so that when you look through the hole it will be perfectly lined up ready for a bolt to go through

Tighten this bolt up and check the others just to make they are too.

And that's it, your new wishbone should then look like this

Hope you found it helpfull :y:

I will not be held responible for any damage or incidents that occur to the car, yourself or anyone/anything else if this guide is followed.

robtwotone 2nd March 2010 22:37

thanks good guide doin a friends 106 on friday

chinkostu 3rd March 2010 02:02

excellent. What i did when putting the new ones on was slide the balljoint into the strut, then jack the strut up until the 2 bolts slotted in. From there i did them up fingertight, then slid the other one in. Haynes does it some odd way!
Oh, and i reused the pinch bolt and its been fine. But to replace them is a 20 minute job at the most!

SaxoAL 3rd March 2010 07:17

Perfect mate! Thanks. Need to do this myself. Is it best to replace both sides? I know one has definitely perished from pothole damage!

Chris_O 3rd March 2010 08:19

No worries mate. Yeah you should do both sides really. And that doesn't surprise me about the potholes there's so many about atm

SaxoAL 3rd March 2010 09:00

cheers fella! Don't suppose you can post up the part number for the pinchbolt please bud?

Sparco_Tom 3rd March 2010 09:04

Nice guide, sexy looking wishbones too ;)

rallyee 3rd March 2010 17:05

If your wishbone is all good and just your balljoint is knocking then you can remove them and get a new balljoint pressed into your wishbone which is about 4 quid or so, works out alot cheaper...

Good clear guide with useful pictures though!

Chris_O 3rd March 2010 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaxoAL (Post 4173361)
cheers fella! Don't suppose you can post up the part number for the pinchbolt please bud?

yes mate they are...

Ball joint pinch bolt: 352243
Self locking nuts: 362230

Came to a total of £3.50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparco_Tom (Post 4173365)
Nice guide, sexy looking wishbones too ;)

haha, I might have to get some of those sexy looking track rod ends off you soon as well lol :y:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rallyee (Post 4174702)
If your wishbone is all good and just your balljoint is knocking then you can remove them and get a new balljoint pressed into your wishbone which is about 4 quid or so, works out alot cheaper...

Good clear guide with useful pictures though!

Yeah this is always an option if you have got access to a ball joint press. But i'm in the process of replacing a lot of parts on my car

Chris_O 3rd March 2010 17:30

I didn't realise all the thanks things go when you edit that's well out of order!

s555dan 3rd March 2010 17:42

Great Job mate

I replaced mine the other day, thought i might add that hammering in the ball joint bolt caused mine to burr as the ball joint wasnt alligned perfectly.

Also i forgot to put the ball joint protector plate back on as i thought it was scrap metal!

Its a learning curve lol

Great guide

coleman258 3rd March 2010 17:53

Great guide will come in very handy to alot of people.

Sparco_Tom 3rd March 2010 18:42

Thanks doesn't go when you edit the post

Chris_O 3rd March 2010 18:55

yeh i just realised that lol it seemed to dissappear when i first did it now there back again!

3cott 3rd March 2010 19:36

Excellent guide mate :y:

thoms04 31st March 2010 00:19

vts-jeff 31st March 2010 00:33

Great guide, thanks for taking the time !!!

toxic 14th August 2010 18:18

nice 1 m8 did mine today easy to do with that help you put on here thanks again m8

Furioman 15th August 2010 00:46

i need to replace both of mine the front wheels sit to far back in the arches, are the ebay ones oem or just general shit copys that get your car through a mot

toxic 15th August 2010 01:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Furioman (Post 4633655)
i need to replace both of mine the front wheels sit to far back in the arches, are the ebay ones oem or just general shit copys that get your car through a mot

hi i got mine off ebay they are good 67 pounds for 2, i gave them a paint so wont rust, easy to do did not think i would of done them if i did not see this post