Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum

Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/index.php)
-   Playstation Chat (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Sony to disallow reselling of games (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457949)

Gabbastard 13th November 2013 14:40

Sony to disallow reselling of games

Theyve updated their Terms Of Service to include sections about disc based software and how a user is not allowed to resell or otherwise trade games unless expressly authorised to do so by Sony and any other publisher.

Sony say that the terms will not affect your rights to resell games. But if thats the case, why have they added them?

holdawayt 13th November 2013 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabbastard (Post 6388391)
Theyve updated their Terms Of Service to include sections about disc based software and how a user is not allowed to resell or otherwise trade games unless expressly authorised to do so by Sony and any other publisher.

Sony say that the terms will not affect your rights to resell games. But if thats the case, why have they added them?

"a user is not allowed to resell or otherwise trade games "
"the terms will not affect your rights to resell games"

Bit of a contradiction by Sony there, either the news has been misquoted or it's been misunderstood.

Gabbastard 13th November 2013 15:55

Id take it as Sony got caught on the hop and are trying to PR spin it. Could be theyre planning it for the future.

Its only a matter of time though, as thats the way Steam works.

Prickle 13th November 2013 15:59

I can't see it happening but we'll see.

I don't know why either consoles even started this. If you buy the hard copy it's YOURS to sell, smash, trade or do whatever you like. As it's always been, right? it's starting to get abit stupid now

Digital stuff you can't even copy anyway or sell on

Gabbastard 13th November 2013 16:37

by law you arent buying the game or even the disc the game is on: youre only buying a licence to play that game which is a bastard.

Ultimately its all down to money. Steam is taking in a fortune, and you cant sell or trade games on that. Take distributors and retailers out of the equation and your company makes fuckloads more profit, even at a lower retail price.

Prickle 13th November 2013 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabbastard (Post 6388443)
by law you arent buying the game or even the disc the game is on: youre only buying a licence to play that game which is a bastard.

Ultimately its all down to money. Steam is taking in a fortune, and you cant sell or trade games on that. Take distributors and retailers out of the equation and your company makes fuckloads more profit, even at a lower retail price.

Are steam games 1 code use games only?

I wonder if thats coming for us. :(

TomT 13th November 2013 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prickle (Post 6388451)
Are steam games 1 code use games only?

Would not surprise me

GolfJay 13th November 2013 18:23

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/11/1...rms-of-service

That was hard to find out...

Mickswan 13th November 2013 18:39

EA games were similar until recently, if you bought the second hand game you had to buy the online code as well.

What I don't understand is how a game can be more expensive on the Playstation Store, not as many costs etc it mental.

Gabbastard 13th November 2013 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickswan (Post 6388484)
EA games were similar until recently, if you bought the second hand game you had to buy the online code as well.

What I don't understand is how a game can be more expensive on the Playstation Store, not as many costs etc it mental.

maximum profit y0.

Gabbastard 13th November 2013 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prickle (Post 6388451)

almost definitely. With digital distribution you cut out everything in the supply chain so all that lost profit is back into your company. And if youre the only one selling it, you set whatever price you want. Great business model really.

Steam are going to be launching their own console soon, so thatll sell a fair bit and push games ever closer to download only.

monka 13th November 2013 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabbastard (Post 6388443)

going on that then, surely if you snap your disc, sony/who ever should send you one out to continue playing???

Gabbastard 13th November 2013 22:01

no, the disc is only a means to an end, its you who broke it. However sales laws protect you if it fails due to poor manufacture :)

Manu 15th November 2013 08:29

Will depend on the game manufacturer, I wouldn't be surprised if EA decided to go ahead and charge second hand fees through an online activation code. Trying to grab maximum money as their old games such as fifa 09, tigerwoods 10 etc are worth almost sweet fuck all on the second hand market.

Quote:

Originally Posted by monka (Post 6388513)
going on that then, surely if you snap your disc, sony/who ever should send you one out to continue playing???

most games companies include that in the game manual. You can send them the broken disc and a fee, then they'll send you a new copy back to you. That's been going on for yonks, playstation one era as far back as I can remember.

Snapping a disc is almost 100%unlikely to happen if you take adequate care, in the exception of a faulty disc drive. I used to have a PS2 that would scratch discs near the center.

Graeme 17th November 2013 18:21

I don't see what the problem is with just downloading the games from playstation network...

You can download the game on up to 5 machines... So just go halfs with someone and you will only have to pay half the price for the game

Mickswan 17th November 2013 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme (Post 6389818)
I don't see what the problem is with just downloading the games from playstation network...

You can download the game on up to 5 machines... So just go halfs with someone and you will only have to pay half the price for the game

Tried that not long ago, had no joy.

Graeme 17th November 2013 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickswan (Post 6389845)
Tried that not long ago, had no joy.

I'm not sure why... Me and my brother do this with most games

We have done it with gta 5 and also cod ghosts and both work fine

He also has playstation plus, so I just log in as him on my ps3 then download the game of the month for free and all is fine when I log back in as me

Mickswan 17th November 2013 20:15

When I done this for the nap packs on black ops two it said no. However a few months earlier I put all the bf3 map packs on my mates no problem. I must have just fucked it some how.

Shaun_w_o 15th April 2016 22:40

It won't be long before more company's do it, steam has done it and look how much they are making and as a big PC gamer I prefer to just be able to download them, it means I don't have to keep putting a disc in and out and risk it getting scratched and then not working, steam is great buy it, download it as many times as you like as long as you are logged in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Synister 10th May 2016 13:22

*Cough* 3 year old thread... *Cough*