Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum

Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/index.php)
-   Saxo Engine/Performance (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   1.1 to VTS Engine Swap Guide?! (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358404)

Ellisg93 21st January 2011 10:23

1.1 to VTS Engine Swap Guide?!

Anybody know a good guide to swapping a VTS into a 1.1. MK1 btw.
So far i'm lookin at buying
Engine
Loom
ECU
Top Radiator Hose
Rad & Fan Setup
Manifolds
Throttle Cable
Upper Engine Mount

Is there anything else I will need, I already have 4 stud hubs & torsion bar.
Will I need drive shafts etc?
Cheers guys

Ellisg93 21st January 2011 12:02

Come on you useful veterans!
I need your knowledge!

Ellisg93 21st January 2011 17:55

Bumppp

nickwillyhams 22nd January 2011 19:09

gearbox? driveshafts? fuel tank (unless it already got a twin line setup)?

wicked-vtr 22nd January 2011 19:15

Box will mate to the block fine, as far as im aware shafts will fit, however I heard somewhere 1.1 shafts are a few mm too short, dont know if this is reliable info though.
Might need to run a fuel return, some work ok without.

citroen_saxo_vtr 24th January 2011 20:41

Not 100% but i think you will need the mounting bracket off a 1.4 or vtr or vts and weld in the place of yours under the ecu. driveshafts wont fit you will need mk1 vtr driveshafts, different exhaust with bigger flange, as said fuel return vts fuel pump, a few more little things.

jeffchiz 24th January 2011 21:46

the 1.1 box will fit, so you wouldnt need different shafts, if you fitted a vts box and used the 1.1 shafts then the box would leak a bit of oil so yea you would want different shafts, also the vtr/s shafts have a two piece shaft on the drivers side which helps with torque steer the1.1 are just one piece

you can use the 1.1 mount which means you wouldnt have to do any welding, if you wanted to use the vts mount then you would have the angle grind the mount cradle off a vtr/s and weld it on to you 1.1

as mentioned you would need a vts fuel pump and you'd have to plumb in a fuel return, or if you didnt wanna do this can do waht ive done and just block the return off with a length of fuel pipe a big bolt and loads of tiger seal lol OR you can do what im gonna do and fit a JP4 fuel rail which doesnt have fuel return on it, but you can only fit this if originally your fuel pressure regulator is in the tank and not on the fuel rail, im not sure on 1.1's but if you dont have the FPR in the tank then you will need to use the vts fuel rail with the FPR on the rail itself

Dane1 24th January 2011 22:54

not really worth it tbh, just buy a V-TEC :)

bourney 24th January 2011 23:03

so a vts lump (box, driveshafts, ecu blah blah blah) will dump straight into the 1.1 engine bay? no modding required???

ed-bradley 24th January 2011 23:05

Need to weld in an Engine mount.

And hope there isn't any problems.

Dom 24th January 2011 23:20

Try and find Willsy's old progress thread, im sure a basic outline was shown in that :)

jeffchiz 24th January 2011 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed-bradley (Post 5059614)
Need to weld in an Engine mount.

And hope there isn't any problems.

not if you use the 1.1 mount lol

Quinn 25th January 2011 22:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffchiz (Post 5059190)
the 1.1 box will fit, so you wouldnt need different shafts, if you fitted a vts box and used the 1.1 shafts then the box would leak a bit of oil so yea you would want different shafts, also the vtr/s shafts have a two piece shaft on the drivers side which helps with torque steer the1.1 are just one piece

you can use the 1.1 mount which means you wouldnt have to do any welding, if you wanted to use the vts mount then you would have the angle grind the mount cradle off a vtr/s and weld it on to you 1.1

as mentioned you would need a vts fuel pump and you'd have to plumb in a fuel return, or if you didnt wanna do this can do waht ive done and just block the return off with a length of fuel pipe a big bolt and loads of tiger seal lol OR you can do what im gonna do and fit a JP4 fuel rail which doesnt have fuel return on it, but you can only fit this if originally your fuel pressure regulator is in the tank and not on the fuel rail, im not sure on 1.1's but if you dont have the FPR in the tank then you will need to use the vts fuel rail with the FPR on the rail itself

Which of the two fuel pipes is the return? The one closest to the end of the rail or the one closer to the middle of the rail? (on the VTS rail)

And will a VTR exhaust fit the VTS mainfold?

Im doing the same swap this weekend. Im rather excited.

ed-bradley 25th January 2011 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffchiz (Post 5059701)
not if you use the 1.1 mount lol

Ahh Right, My bad.

whats this I've read about having to weld in a Mount somewhere?

Or is that for different models or somthing. :geek:
That makes my life easier then, for when I do it. Lol

jeffchiz 25th January 2011 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinn (Post 5062937)
Which of the two fuel pipes is the return? The one closest to the end of the rail or the one closer to the middle of the rail? (on the VTS rail)

And will a VTR exhaust fit the VTS mainfold?

Im doing the same swap this weekend. Im rather excited.

the one nearest to the middle, and the exhaust will fit :y:

Quinn 25th January 2011 23:00

cheers pal thanks for quick reply

i know who to see if i need any help ;)

nickwillyhams 25th January 2011 23:06

Yeah the middle one an make sure you clip the fuel lines to the back of inlet to keep em nice an tidy :)

Quinn 25th January 2011 23:17

Will i be needing the VTS radiator and fan? Or can i just remove the oil cooler?

What kind of issues can i get from doing that?

jeffchiz 25th January 2011 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed-bradley (Post 5062945)
Ahh Right, My bad.

whats this I've read about having to weld in a Mount somewhere?

Or is that for different models or somthing. :geek:
That makes my life easier then, for when I do it. Lol

if you want to use the vtr/s mount then you need to cut the 1.1 cradle out and weld in the vtr/s cradle, but if you use the 1.1 mount then you can use the 1.1 cradle, my mate had it in his 1.1 like that, its all down to weather you wanna risk using the 1.1 mount as it is wafer thin lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinn (Post 5062957)
cheers pal thanks for quick reply

i know who to see if i need any help ;)

lol no worries

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinn (Post 5063028)
Will i be needing the VTS radiator and fan? Or can i just remove the oil cooler?

What kind of issues can i get from doing that?

gti engines dont use the oil cooler, so i cant see any problem in taking it off, but might as well just get a vts rad/fan set up, mine was included in the sale

Quinn 25th January 2011 23:44

I'm running a little low on the pennies at the mo lol

Ive had the engine lying around waiting to go in for some time now and I just want to get it in asap

I'm then going to go about buying the other parts as I can

Just another question on the mounts, can I use all the 1.1 mounts? Including the rear one?