Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum

Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Networking Guru's (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464764)

Brettles1986 6th June 2014 13:27

Networking Guru's

I have just had BT Infinity installed at our office. Since the install I have been unable to successfully connect to our FTP server first time. If I continue to try a few times it eventually works. It errors out with 200 Type set A. 227 Entering Passive Mode.

I have add DNS forward lookup zones on the server that point to BT's DNS servers. All firewall rules are set to allow ports 20 and 21 in both directions.

Anyone able to shed any light on this.

Everything was fine on the old router which had the same setup.

0rang3peel 6th June 2014 13:39

I'm unsure on the infinity equipment, but is it possible to put the infinity router in modem only mode and then plug in your old router?

Any DMZ settings on the infinity that could be causing shit?

Brettles1986 6th June 2014 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0rang3peel (Post 6458676)
I'm unsure on the infinity equipment, but is it possible to put the infinity router in modem only mode and then plug in your old router?

Any DMZ settings on the infinity that could be causing shit?

I was thinking of trying putting the router in DMZ but it has this stupid setting which means you can only set it to an IP address of a device that the router has picked up with no manual way of adding devices.

I am using the server for DHCP and not the router so it doesn't pick any devices up.

0rang3peel 6th June 2014 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brettles1986 (Post 6458679)
I was thinking of trying putting the router in DMZ but it has this stupid setting which means you can only set it to an IP address of a device that the router has picked up with no manual way of adding devices.

I am using the server for DHCP and not the router so it doesn't pick any devices up.

Ahh poop, yeah thought you may have overlooked the simple option of modem only mode.

That's an infuriating setting, DMZ is what I would have tried too.

I'm out of ideas already

chompy 6th June 2014 13:53

I had the exact same problem with an infinity router at one point. They are a fucking nightmare to configure. In the end i gave up and just used another router with PPPOE (Draytek 2830) and everything worked fine.

Also, it's worth checking with BT that they have put you on a business line and not a home infinity connection.

Brettles1986 6th June 2014 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by chompy (Post 6458686)
I had the exact same problem with an infinity router at one point. They are a fucking nightmare to configure. In the end i gave up and just used another router with PPPOE (Draytek 2830) and everything worked fine.

Also, it's worth checking with BT that they have put you on a business line and not a home infinity connection.

We are definitely on a business line. May well end up installing the old router again on Monday. Why do they make it so difficult to do the simplest of things.

MuZiZZle 6th June 2014 13:59

IT should be easy, providing the FTP server is on?

Try the shields up site to make sure the ports are open to the outside world.

The only issue I had was WOL because as you say it bins the ARP cache after 5 minutes, fucking thing

Brettles1986 6th June 2014 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZiZZle (Post 6458689)
IT should be easy, providing the FTP server is on?

Try the shields up site to make sure the ports are open to the outside world.

The only issue I had was WOL because as you say it bins the ARP cache after 5 minutes, fucking thing

Already done that.

Results are as expected.

chompy 6th June 2014 14:18

Get the old router back in.

Brettles1986 6th June 2014 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by chompy (Post 6458697)
Get the old router back in.

Shall be, it just feels like a real defeatist attitude to things. Sometimes I guess it's just not meant to be with particular hardware.

Kebabman 6th June 2014 14:29

Are you attempting to connect to the FTP using active or passive mode? I would guess active from the error message as it seems to then fall back to passive mode. Might be worth switching the mode and see if that helps.

Brettles1986 6th June 2014 14:33

Already tried that. The problem with that is that it needs to be set on client side as well and there are quite a few people who need this FTP access.

As said it will connect eventually but only after a few attempts which is no good when connection remote printers to it for scanning purposes as they fail first time.

chompy 6th June 2014 14:58

By the sounds of it you shouldn't really be trying to run a BT infinity router anyway and should have a more business orientated solution like your old router.

They are really not meant for anything other than home use, so it's not really a defeatist attitude, more getting a solution that works.

Brettles1986 6th June 2014 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by chompy (Post 6458709)
By the sounds of it you shouldn't really be trying to run a BT infinity router anyway and should have a more orientated solution.

They are really not meant for anything other than home use.

I do have a 3com router that I took out when the new system was installed. Will be putting it back on Monday. I have only been using the BT one just to see if it's up to the job, I had assumed with it being a Business package the router would have been adequate.

Live and learn.

chompy 6th June 2014 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brettles1986 (Post 6458710)
I do have a 3com router that I took out when the new system was installed. Will be putting it back on Monday. I have only been using the BT one just to see if it's up to the job, I had assumed with it being a Business package the router would have been adequate.

Live and learn.

3com? that's even worse :p

unfortunately not, the only real business style kit you get is if you order a leased line or a managed service (not just from BT of course). Even then, you still want your own router behind it to configure it the way you want.

Brettles1986 6th June 2014 15:35

Yeah maybe now is the time to mention I work for a smallbusiness with a massive reluctance to spend any money.

We have an ancient phone system that they won't replace and when proposing a new system their response was "we will deal with it when it goes wrong"... massively pro-active considering it's a pretty critical service.

chompy 6th June 2014 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brettles1986 (Post 6458727)
Yeah maybe now is the time to mention I work for a smallbusiness with a massive reluctance to spend any money.

We have an ancient phone system that they won't replace and when proposing a new system their response was "we will deal with it when it goes wrong"... massively pro-active considering it's a pretty critical service.

I do SME support & sales so i know how you feel :hug:

MuZiZZle 6th June 2014 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by chompy (Post 6458743)
I do SME support & sales so i know how you feel :hug:

no you don't, Bret is skinny :hug:

chompy 6th June 2014 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZiZZle (Post 6458764)
no you don't, Bret is skinny :hug:

I was buff at one point if that counts?

SimpleJoee 6th June 2014 17:43

Sounds like your head gasket is going mate

Gandi699 6th June 2014 18:12

I find with these home routers the firmware is designed in a very simplistic way and some of the higher end options you'd want aren't included.draytek were mentioned and they aren't bad bits of kit at all, used them in the past and was pleased with them and they aren't mega bucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devilsadvocate 8th June 2014 10:16

Networking Guru's

Are you connecting using a hostname or an IP address? Is anybody else having the same issue?

We went with Virgin media business broadband and they installed a Cisco 2921 router which works it well as I am a CCNP :)

Brettles1986 8th June 2014 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilsadvocate (Post 6459120)
Are you connecting using a hostname or an IP address? Is anybody else having the same issue?

We went with Virgin media business broadband and they installed a Cisco 2921 router which works it well as I am a CCNP :)

Tried both tbh. We have yet to be issued a static ip but I have been manually updating the address each time until the static one is issued.

MuZiZZle 8th June 2014 20:02

Doesn't the BT thang have no-ip etc built into it?

Brettles1986 8th June 2014 20:03

Yeah but changing it with my DR is not a lot of hastle. They tend to have a good few days lease on the ip's anyway.

chompy 8th June 2014 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZiZZle (Post 6459240)
Doesn't the BT thang have no-ip etc built into it?

They don't come with them unless you ask for it. Once you've requested it they do a DHCP reservation type thing to the routers MAC.

MuZiZZle 8th June 2014 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by chompy (Post 6459270)
They don't come with them unless you ask for it. Once you've requested it they do a DHCP reservation type thing to the routers MAC.

no you portly slag, you can put a dynamic one in, like no-ip

something like welshpedowanker.no-ip.wang

Brettles1986 8th June 2014 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZiZZle (Post 6459280)

Lol far too long that. Other than that I can see nothing wrong with it.

MuZiZZle 8th June 2014 22:12

I detest my BT router, but I don't do anything exciting now so it does what it needs to

chompy 8th June 2014 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZiZZle (Post 6459280)

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

I miss-read. Dyndns is the way to go for that tbh.

Brettles1986 9th June 2014 16:15

Right so I am in need of ordering a new router, it slipped past me that the old one I planned on putting back in is ADSL where as I need a cable one.

Another question now though.

Why the hell are all client computers on the network getting very slow internet access. It has been like this a while now but only now am I looking into it.

Clients point to the Server DNS. The server NIC is set to itself for DNS and forwarders are added in it's DNS to point to Googles DNS servers). It's as if the server can't distinguish between an internal and external DNS request and is checking it's own cache first.

chompy 9th June 2014 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brettles1986 (Post 6459492)
Right so I am in need of ordering a new router, it slipped past me that the old one I planned on putting back in is ADSL where as I need a cable one.

Another question now though.

Why the hell are all client computers on the network getting very slow internet access. It has been like this a while now but only now am I looking into it.

Clients point to the Server DNS. The server NIC is set to itself for DNS and forwarders are added in it's DNS to point to Googles DNS servers). It's as if the server can't distinguish between an internal and external DNS request and is checking it's own cache first.

Time for a Draytek ;)

I'd wait until you replace the router and then see if that is still an issue. Providing you have checked the obvious on the server of course.

Brettles1986 9th June 2014 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by chompy (Post 6459494)
Time for a Draytek ;)

I'd wait until you replace the router and then see if that is still an issue. Providing you have checked the obvious on the server of course.

By obvious what are you referring to?

Now I must admit I am currently running a risk in that our server software went EOL last month but I have an external company installing software upgrades on the new server when I set it up in 3 weeks time.

chompy 9th June 2014 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brettles1986 (Post 6459495)
By obvious what are you referring to?

Now I must admit I am currently running a risk in that our server software went EOL last month but I have an external company installing software upgrades on the new server when I set it up in 3 weeks time.

:mental:

What server OS are using?

By obvious i mean, checking event logs, making sure the NIC isn't auto-neg down to 10/100 etc..etc.. the basics :y:

Brettles1986 9th June 2014 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by chompy (Post 6459496)
:mental:

What server OS are using?

By obvious i mean, checking event logs, making sure the NIC isn't auto-neg down to 10/100 etc..etc.. the basics :y:

Believe it or not but ancient SBS2003. Have Server 2012 on a fresh new server ready to be installed. I wanted it in sooner but the external company can't come until next month and I need to coincide the upgrade with them.

chompy 9th June 2014 17:17

I could quite believe it. I still look after a few of them.

That's a shame, if you weren't so far away I could've had you one in a week :p

What you using for mail now exchange isn't included?

Brettles1986 9th June 2014 17:49

I'm doing the upgrade of the Server that's not an issue. The issue is that our crm is outdated and the old version is incomapatible with 2012. So I need to install server, attach clients etc and then they need to come in and install upgraded crm.

We are on office 365 now as it gives us up to date office suite as well which was in need of an upgrade.

MuZiZZle 9th June 2014 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brettles1986 (Post 6459502)
Believe it or not but ancient SBS2003. Have Server 2012 on a fresh new server ready to be installed. I wanted it in sooner but the external company can't come until next month and I need to coincide the upgrade with them.

You mean "Servers" surely?

Brettles1986 9th June 2014 19:28

Now why would I need more than one?

MuZiZZle 9th June 2014 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brettles1986 (Post 6459540)
Now why would I need more than one?

Failover, hotspare, cold spare, tepid spare, future donor?