Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum

Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   mazda rx 8 (231) (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467787)

marcusd 6th November 2014 17:25

mazda rx 8 (231)

well time had come to sell up the saxo and grow up a lil to a family car (so my mrs thinks) so wanted one of these for a while had one years back and wanted another, test drove 5-6 over the last few weeks and none gave me that feeling till this one, one owner from new an enthusiast. body work spot on, inside spot on. and all other thing amazing just needs coils changing for the just incase.

Dany4494 6th November 2014 17:31

Looks good mate like rx8's, running costs and engine issues have always managed to put me off though.

Ross 6th November 2014 17:36

Let me know when you buys it so I can get some shares sorted in Castrol.

Cheers.

Prickle 6th November 2014 17:38

I like them and i don't. :A:

Are these as bad as made out with the engine rebuilds/costs?

marcusd 6th November 2014 17:46

I'm on like 4 different rx8 forums and I think they are myths bout these cars. Lots that have been looked after are fine they do need a lil more care that piston engines but the fun part is red lining the revs for best performance and coils need replacing every 16k miles but other than that most is standard stuff. Can't wait to mod it a bit, new wheels and backbox. But my 45 min test drive was lovely nice stretch of straight road and hard throttle foot

marcusd 6th November 2014 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prickle (Post 6490652)
I like them and i don't. :A:

Are these as bad as made out with the engine rebuilds/costs?

I would guess not now. When the problems first came out yes but theres more company's out there able to sort rotor engines out. Seen few threads being quotes 1-2300 for a new engine with insulted tips and they were few years old so could be alot cheaper now.

Basically I've bitten the bullet and gone for one for better or worse if it goes up shitter fair do's if it don't then I shall smile my ass off as I drive it with my heated up arse

Dany4494 6th November 2014 18:14

Are cammed vts faster ?

marcusd 6th November 2014 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dany4494 (Post 6490664)
Are cammed vts faster ?

They are the fastest thing on the road aren't they?

Cam 6th November 2014 19:10

mazda rx 8 (231)

Nice car my old mans got one, they have a bad name but its from people who dont own them but think they are experts on them.

One thing I will say though is they drink fuel like there is no tommorow

marcusd 6th November 2014 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam (Post 6490676)
Nice car my old mans got one, they have a bad name but its from people who dont own them but think they are experts on them.

One thing I will say though is they drink fuel like there is no tommorow

yeap at best I think it is 21-25mpg
and gets worse come service time is something is playing up, its a good job rx8 forums have nearly every type of diy guide going to help save some pennys to spend on petrol

craigy_87 7th November 2014 19:50

Yeah I like them, had mine for 4 months there just got rid this week.

Was a great car, went through an incredible amount of fuel though

Wish I had seen this earlier I had some genuine coils leads an plugs for sale!

marcusd 7th November 2014 20:03

ive just purchased the upgraded coils n leads bout half hour ago, now seeing what started motor to maybe upgrade too but don't think it needs it yet

Cam 7th November 2014 23:14

You should get a Varta E23 battery for it aswell

MuZiZZle 7th November 2014 23:33

My pal had one and it cost him nothing to run and didn't use much oil, just saying

Cam 8th November 2014 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZiZZle (Post 6490888)
My pal had one and it cost him nothing to run and didn't use much oil, just saying

They are desinged to burn oil :homme:

MuZiZZle 8th November 2014 00:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam (Post 6490891)
They are desinged to burn oil :homme:

He said it didn't use much, maybe he was talking out of his arse.

They sound like they have the oil consumption and MPG of mine :panic:

marcusd 8th November 2014 09:29

end of the day all cars have horror stories its just the rotary engine ones have stuck more as most don't know how to use them compared to piston engines.
saxos dont haven't the most reliable of reps but mine I owned for 7 years with minimal problemsgotta hope mazda follow suit

KamRacing 8th November 2014 11:17

I'm seriously considering picking one up on the trade auctions to do a few drift days in.
Personally I think you have to treat it like a 1.3 engine running 230bhp. Its like a highly strung piston engine and needs more looking after and has a shorter lifespan than an engine designed for going up to the shops.

marcusd 8th November 2014 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by KamRacing (Post 6490905)
I'm seriously considering picking one up on the trade auctions to do a few drift days in.
Personally I think you have to treat it like a 1.3 engine running 230bhp. Its like a highly strung piston engine and needs more looking after and has a shorter lifespan than an engine designed for going up to the shops.

See I dunno, most things I read up on basically pointed towards making sure coils are good and Def oem mazda to keep engine good, keep mineral oil topped up to keep it all good and these make engine happy and run for years and final check is keep on top of cooling stuff. The best site is Def the American rx8 owners with all info on race and drift.

Plus if your looking for cheap ones plenty available everywhere. Was a 06 up here for 1500 with nothing on clock really and good nick just road tax (500) puts alot off

Nik_L 9th November 2014 14:39

Always fancied 1 of these and after selling my last 2 cars I've looked at RX8s but never had the balls to go ahead and buy 1.

What is it that actually causes the rotor tips to wear and loose compression? Also, say you buy a good 1, what's the chances of it going tits up a week later? From what I read it's inevitable that they will eventually fuk up. What sort of preventative maintenance can be done? Price wise they are all over the place. 2 like for like low mileage, good history cars can be priced from £1200 up to £3k so what's the price difference actually mean.

Seriously tempted to punt my Gti 180 and bite the bullet.