Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum

Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/index.php)
-   Track / Motorsport Prep' (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Engine rebuild advice and questions. (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457478)

AzzAW93 29th October 2013 20:02

Engine rebuild advice and questions.

Hi all :D
im just about to start my 16v engine build hoping for around 170bhp the plan is not to go forged as i wont have the budget for it this year, But as the car will be getting a fair bit of stick, over short distances (sprints & hillclimbs) im planning on including race bearings and arp bolts in the build, will this be necessary/beneficial? in my head it makes sense but are they overkill?

so far in my shopping list for the bottom end i have;
ARP con rod bolts
ACL race big end bearings
ACL race main bearings
ACL HD thrust washers
OE quality front and rear main seals
OE piston rings

will all that be a good combo with standard crank, rods and pistons? as i hear the standard bottom end is pretty strong aslong as your not running mega power.

Oh and am i missing anything? i know theres plenty of bits ill be bolting onto the block but for the bottom end internals have i missed anything crucial?

cheers
azza

Dave_P 29th October 2013 20:20

My old engine with std bottom end used to get 8250 rpm without issue, the weak point is the hydraulic lifters.

Whats cams/revs do you intend using?

AzzAW93 29th October 2013 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave_P (Post 6383733)
My old engine with std bottom end used to get 8250 rpm without issue, the weak point is the hydraulic lifters.

Whats cams/revs do you intend using?

just 743's and whatever rpm is 500 past peak power so nothing silly i imagine. i just want to build a good reliable 170bhp engine that will last a few years as with the cars weight im in no major rush to go mad power as it will be waisted with me at the wheel anyway haha

cheers dave

Gabbastard 29th October 2013 21:13

Id echo what Dave said, mine used to go to 7800 a lot and was fine with a bog standard bottom end.

AzzAW93 29th October 2013 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabbastard (Post 6383757)
Id echo what Dave said, mine used to go to 7800 a lot and was fine with a bog standard bottom end.

but if you were doing a full rebuild including new bearings and so on would you have stretched that little extra for decent race bearings? as they will be getting replaced no matter what

cheers :)

Gabbastard 29th October 2013 21:29

I actually rebuilt the bottom end after the rings shat themselves. I didnt see any point in going for race bearings etc, I just asked the local rebuild component factors for decent quality "normal" stuff. Really didnt set me back a lot and lasted absolutely fine.

Dave_P 30th October 2013 07:15

7800rpm should do the job, my old engine made 166bhp with TB's/708 cams etc, the 743's should nudge you nearer 170bhp.

axsaxoman 30th October 2013 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzzAW93 (Post 6383761)
but if you were doing a full rebuild including new bearings and so on would you have stretched that little extra for decent race bearings? as they will be getting replaced no matter what

cheers :)

no need at your power /rpm level
same goes for arp con rod bolts
especially consdiering you can get forged rods with arp bolts for £350 --then £100 for bolts seems a waste
when have you seen a tu5 wear out crank bearings --
i have never seen it --unless there was another problem and then you would need a crank
crank bearings are same size as a cosworth !!!
If you are rebuilding because its knocking or using oil thats another matter
if not i would leave it alone and just fit your cams
oil pressure should be 4bar @4000rpm when hot

welshpug 30th October 2013 11:30

£350 for rods? shudders...

I'd stick to o.e!

AzzAW93 30th October 2013 15:27

all seals and bearings will be replaced with OE spec new ones. i dont know the history of the engine so its getting rebuilt for sure.
besides its too late now ;)