Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum

Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/index.php)
-   Saxo Problems & Queries (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Fuel gauge fix (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319490)

citroen_saxo_vtr 16th June 2010 23:27

Fuel gauge fix

For all of you who has a fuel gauge issue i may have the cure. My gauge went haywire i would turn the ignition on and the red light would come on then the needle bounce 3 times, i replaced the sender unit and it cured it but iv had a 16v conversion done since and its done it again and another sender didnt cure it, i tried loads but i have now found a cure simple put a wire on a earth and hold it onto the yellow and green wire that is the end wire on the fuel pump/sender unit under the rear seat, it takes a while to register and your gauge should work! if it does get one of those little wire connectors that join two wires and connect it inline with the thicker earth next to it (green and yellow) the fuel pump earth. Make sure you do a decent job and use insolation tape round it because its near the fuel tank. The reason for the earth is because it breaks inside the dials i have now found out so when people say the dials are broken give this ago first. I have done it to mine tonight and iv since filled it with petrol and drove the car for abit and the gauge works fine. Simples. Hope this help a few of you with fuel gauge issues.

If you earth the other end wire on the plug think it was purple or pink and hold it there for a few mins to register on the gauge it should read full, i tested all of these.

BobC 18th June 2010 20:40

Fuel Gauge Fix

The diagrams below show the modification that Matt (citroen_saxo_vtr) has made to get his fuel gauge working again; modifications in BLUE
.....>

Symptoms: Ignition on 2 clicks, fuel gauge needle bounces to FULL 3 times then returns to EMPTY and stays there.

I have dug out a diagram that I think is ok to use as it applies from RPO 8764+. [I think this is for Mk2 ?]

It shows two wires going from the dash to the petrol pump gauge sender unit 5-way BROWN connector. One wire is PINK and the other is GREEN/YELLOW.

The results:
If you hold an EARTH on the PINK wire then the gauge reads FULL
If you hold an EARTH on the GREEN/YELLOW wire then the gauge reads ACTUAL fuel level; so Matt connected it there permanently. **Interestingly this is how older models were wired up.
Matt had chased the missing earth all the way back to the dash connector and he found that the dash WAS NOT supplying the needed earth.

RPO - Find your RPO number here: http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=245229

*** If this works for you then please add YOUR post below ***

sam_16v 30th September 2011 00:56

this hasnt worked for i have earthed the green/yellow wire and it has made no difference

as soon as i turn car on gage goes straight to full 3 times and on the fourth time its at the bottom but gradually makes its way to the top

sam_16v 2nd October 2011 17:35

bump!!!!

poweredbyvtr 26th October 2011 17:22

my gauge i think is ***** to as i put 15 pound in it didn even take me out the red lol?

citroen_saxo_vtr 13th November 2011 22:55

Test the live on the sender to. Have you earthed it to the main earth to the actual pump? asin the thick one?

HD7 10th March 2013 00:32

Is the sender underneath the middle flap under the rear seats?

Ross 10th March 2013 00:40

Yes. :)

HD7 10th March 2013 00:45

Okay cheers, I'll give this a go in the morning! Obviously breakers are going to be shut tomorrow. Should this not work, how much are senders from a breaker normally?

D4NNY-801 10th March 2013 10:08

I got mine from a breaker on ebay for £30 mate

Patmar 17th May 2013 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by citroen_saxo_vtr (Post 4475708)
For all of you who has a fuel gauge issue i may have the cure. My gauge went haywire i would turn the ignition on and the red light would come on then the needle bounce 3 times, i replaced the sender unit and it cured it but iv had a 16v conversion done since and its done it again and another sender didnt cure it, i tried loads but i have now found a cure simple put a wire on a earth and hold it onto the yellow and green wire that is the end wire on the fuel pump/sender unit under the rear seat, it takes a while to register and your gauge should work! if it does get one of those little wire connectors that join two wires and connect it inline with the thicker earth next to it (green and yellow) the fuel pump earth. Make sure you do a decent job and use insolation tape round it because its near the fuel tank. The reason for the earth is because it breaks inside the dials i have now found out so when people say the dials are broken give this ago first. I have done it to mine tonight and iv since filled it with petrol and drove the car for abit and the gauge works fine. Simples. Hope this help a few of you with fuel gauge issues.

If you earth the other end wire on the plug think it was purple or pink and hold it there for a few mins to register on the gauge it should read full, i tested all of these.

exactly the same symtoms and this worked a treat on mine really appreciated

dontpannic 17th May 2013 12:17

Mine's slightly different. The fuel reserve light works, the gauge doesn't move at all. I can measure resistance when the engine is off (50ohms full, 340ohms empty), and get 5v to the sender when the engine is running.

I think my dashboard clocks are buggered. Thoughts?

AndyMack 19th May 2013 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontpannic (Post 6311226)
Mine's slightly different. The fuel reserve light works, the gauge doesn't move at all. I can measure resistance when the engine is off (50ohms full, 340ohms empty), and get 5v to the sender when the engine is running.

I think my dashboard clocks are buggered. Thoughts?

I'm the same as you. My reserve light still works but the gauge is stuck at almost full.

Is there a way to get the fuel gauge and check that its not just fluffed up and causing it to jam?

Ryanoo 20th May 2013 03:10

Just trying to get my head around this.

A million questions;

- Where did you get the earth to start with? Did you just put one end of a cable into the g/y connector then touched the other end to the metal work near by or did you run it to the earth point?

- Did the petrol Guage move instantly?

- To make it permanent where did you locate the thicker earth?

Mine has done this since I've had it, 3 bounces, petrol light then nothing. I just fill up full and run to 300 miles them fill up again, I changed the unit but that didn't solve the problem so I hope it is an issue with the earths.

I got a unit off of mandyslover for 30 + delivery, I still have my original one, I'm guessing there was nothing wrong with it now lol. Was on 61000 when I changed it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

dontpannic 20th May 2013 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyMack (Post 6312397)
I'm the same as you. My reserve light still works but the gauge is stuck at almost full.

Is there a way to get the fuel gauge and check that its not just fluffed up and causing it to jam?

You can rip it to bits but you'll probably find the same as me - that there's nothing visibly wrong with it.

I'll try a set of dashboard clocks at some stage and see what happens.

simondhopkins 12th November 2013 18:43

I just whacked the unit on the front and hey presto it worked. Worth a shot.

simondhopkins 13th November 2013 14:52

Found out why it worked when I whacked it.

4 dry joints on the pcb on the black plug.

As you look at it pcb side up, its the 4 pins to the LEFT, 2 of which are the fuel gauge wire.

Have a few pictures to add.

sommek 26th January 2015 12:12

[QUOTE=Ryanoo;6312766]Just trying to get my head around this.

A million questions;

- Where did you get the earth to start with? Did you just put one end of a cable into the g/y connector then touched the other end to the metal work near by or did you run it to the earth point?

Mine has done this since I've had it, 3 bounces, petrol light then nothing. I just fill up full and run to 300 miles them fill up again, I changed the unit but that didn't solve the problem so I hope it is an issue with the earths.

I got a unit off of mandyslover for 30 + delivery, I still have my original one, I'm guessing there was nothing wrong with it now lol. Was on 61000 when I changed it.

I have the exact same questions!! - Where did you get the earth to start with? Did you just put one end of a cable into the g/y connector then touched the other end to the metal work near by or did you run it to the earth point?
Could someone give us some more details please or photo if there is one?

sommek 26th January 2015 12:16

I have the exact same questions!!

[QUOTE=sommek;6502062]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanoo (Post 6312766)
Just trying to get my head around this.

A million questions;

sommek 26th January 2015 12:17

could anyone be more specific, please help?