Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum

Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat... (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   GMC Motorsport (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476072)

karl_mh 19th September 2019 15:18

GMC Motorsport

Anyone know if GMC has stopped trading? I’ve tried to go onto the website but comes up with error.<br><br><br>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott 20th September 2019 10:37

Phone: 01671 404030

call and ask

karl_mh 20th September 2019 16:41

Blimey!! just spent 30 mins on the phone with John from GMC regarding some engine mods including supercharging the engine, I also found out that he is still trading although he is selling his garage and everything in it.

A great guy and full to the brim of TU knowledge and other very useful information and it sound like there's not much he hasn't done over the years.

Bedford126 21st September 2019 16:54

He is also doesn’t like it when you question him. Also likes to provide parts that “work well together” even though he has no knowledge of them working. His knowledge is old and has no room for the new school way of doing things. Be cautious of what he tells you as most things now can be done cheaper with better results.

karl_mh 21st September 2019 22:03

Duly noted sir[emoji106]<br><br><br>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MartinObviously 22nd September 2019 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bedford126 (Post 6559638)
He is also doesn’t like it when you question him. Also likes to provide parts that “work well together” even though he has no knowledge of them working. His knowledge is old and has no room for the new school way of doing things. Be cautious of what he tells you as most things now can be done cheaper with better results.

A bit off topic, but I was having a conversation with someone the other day who wants to fit carbs to an old VW, using silicone joiners - rather than buying a proper manifold for the purpose and using the standard injectors with a remap. bizarre.

But he's older and has no time for us generation Y folks. :homme:

Some people are just set in their ways :)

karl_mh 22nd September 2019 19:58

:(Generation X I'm afraid

Stissy 23rd September 2019 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinObviously (Post 6559653)
A bit off topic, but I was having a conversation with someone the other day who wants to fit carbs to an old VW, using silicone joiners - rather than buying a proper manifold for the purpose and using the standard injectors with a remap. bizarre.

But he's older and has no time for us generation Y folks. :homme:

Some people are just set in their ways :)

I wonder whether our generation will be like that in 10-15 years. When the new set of enthusiasts come along, wanting to do something new/better, and whether we’ll revert back to suggest the sorts of things we do now, and the way we do them.

MartinObviously 23rd September 2019 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by karl_mh (Post 6559659)
:(Generation X I'm afraid

Jesus you're well old :homme:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stissy (Post 6559680)
I wonder whether our generation will be like that in 10-15 years. When the new set of enthusiasts come along, wanting to do something new/better, and whether we’ll revert back to suggest the sorts of things we do now, and the way we do them.

Well I still tell people the Saxo/106 is the best thing since sliced bread, but secretly my 2016 Alto Works is a far better car, so much more advanced and nicer to drive.

Ahh well

106 is still better :P with it's really slow Bosch ECU.

Stissy 24th September 2019 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinObviously (Post 6559685)
Well I still tell people the Saxo/106 is the best thing since sliced bread, but secretly my 2016 Alto Works is a far better car, so much more advanced and nicer to drive.

Ahh well

106 is still better :P with it's really slow Bosch ECU.

100%. I think there are a couple of things that come in to play with the Saxo / 106. The first is the nostalgia. I will always have a soft spot for the car because it reminds me of being 17/18. Driving around with my mates, fitting a few modifications, listening to music, racing other shit hatchbacks, going to Tesco at 11pm on a Wednesday to buy something to eat and a couple of beers – just because we could. I look back on those times with very fond memories. The second is the experience you get driving the car. I still have both a VTS and 106 Rallye, whenever I take the Saxo out I’m never really sure whether I’m going to make it home again. The car is so basic and poorly built compared to modern cars, the brakes are soft, the gears are loose, the stock steering doesn’t build much confidence and anything over 60 feels like the car is going to rattle itself apart, but at the same time, all of those things make the car excellent fun to drive. It’s a great car.

MartinObviously 24th September 2019 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stissy (Post 6559705)
100%. I think there are a couple of things that come in to play with the Saxo / 106. The first is the nostalgia. I will always have a soft spot for the car because it reminds me of being 17/18. Driving around with my mates, fitting a few modifications, listening to music, racing other shit hatchbacks, going to Tesco at 11pm on a Wednesday to buy something to eat and a couple of beers – just because we could. I look back on those times with very fond memories. The second is the experience you get driving the car. I still have both a VTS and 106 Rallye, whenever I take the Saxo out I’m never really sure whether I’m going to make it home again. The car is so basic and poorly built compared to modern cars, the brakes are soft, the gears are loose, the stock steering doesn’t build much confidence and anything over 60 feels like the car is going to rattle itself apart, but at the same time, all of those things make the car excellent fun to drive. It’s a great car.

Absolutely, it winds the clock back 10 years every time I get in it :afro:

mmmm might want to look into your steering, mine is dead sharp hahahaha

The brakes however, yes for sure! :fcuk:

Stissy 30th September 2019 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinObviously (Post 6559706)
Absolutely, it winds the clock back 10 years every time I get in it :afro:

mmmm might want to look into your steering, mine is dead sharp hahahaha

The brakes however, yes for sure! :fcuk:

My handling is as wallowy as anything. But the car is completely standard, on the original suspension. So it feels very loose compared to modern cars.

Gabbastard 19th November 2019 15:49

Its funny because my 106 has invsted a feeling of reliability in me that Ive not had in a long time. Nothing will go wrong, itll go on forever, return monster mpg. Admittedly its not as good a drive as modern cars, but! Is it unpleasant to drive? Not at all, its surprisingly quiet and comfy. I was going to get something more modern but for the driving I do, I dont really see the point :)

Chipwizards 26th November 2019 23:24

Modern mainstream cars have no soul.
There isn't one that I'd own being completely honest. They do a job, nothing more.
The only thing that I can imagine putting a smile on my face would be an MX5 or maybe that little Alpine thing.

Manu 27th November 2019 17:13

lol, recently smoked some dude ragging an MX5, without even trying.

Quote:

my 106 [...] surprisingly quiet and comfy.
You should try a comfy/quiet car :flush:

Nostalgia, saw a saxo last week and had a smirk about how I don't miss it, and the 106 before that. I must have gone old or something.

stevo67 27th November 2019 17:40

My old saxo literally fell to pieces.

MartinObviously 27th November 2019 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipwizards (Post 6560076)
Modern mainstream cars have no soul.
There isn't one that I'd own being completely honest. They do a job, nothing more.
The only thing that I can imagine putting a smile on my face would be an MX5 or maybe that little Alpine thing.

My 2016 Alto is mainstream, but only in Japan.

Ability to turn off ALL driver aids, comes with Recaros, turbo, short ratio manual and it's 4WD. what's not to like :P

Chipwizards 7th December 2019 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinObviously (Post 6560079)
My 2016 Alto is mainstream, but only in Japan.

Ability to turn off ALL driver aids, comes with Recaros, turbo, short ratio manual and it's 4WD. what's not to like :P

Things are very different in Japan
I really want to go one day when I can afford it
Might bring an R32 GTR and an NSX back with me, both are 'bucket list' cars for me.

MartinObviously 14th December 2019 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipwizards (Post 6560087)
Things are very different in Japan
I really want to go one day when I can afford it
Might bring an R32 GTR and an NSX back with me, both are 'bucket list' cars for me.

Damn right they are! After brexit is done, we should focus on a trade deal with Japan, lower import fees and drive out all the Euro shite that gets sold here. And we'll all become drift heroes and drive cars which have interesting spec.

R32 and an NSX oooooft

I've been watching them on the auctions and I'll need a lottery win to bring some of them back!

Been increasingly finding the need to buy myself a Kei truck, the shear amount of times where I wish I just had a loading tray big enough for 1 pallet!

Manu 15th December 2019 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinObviously (Post 6560116)
After brexit is done, we should focus on a trade deal with Japan, lower import fees and drive out all the Euro shite that gets sold here.

June 2018

Boris Johnson (on the consequences of business, and uncertainty around brexit): "Fuck business"

Japan: "Fukayoo UK"

(you do not do business deals with Japan using insults and/or threats, like, ever)

The following week, Japan scored a free deal with the EU, 0% fees on imports.

Good luck reeling them back in, as they also have stronger ties with France and Germany. There's a Jap car importer just a few miles from where I live, he's not doing good as people have shied away in the last year and a half. His yard went from busy to half empty since Japan left, and he's started doing german cars instead.

Quote:

drive out all the Euro shite that gets sold here
come on, you need some Vxr chavs to replace them saxos. PSA's recently acquired vauxhall. Imagine a Corsa with a TU engine lol.