Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum

Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat... (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   smoking update! (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452694)

LEONARDOY 22nd June 2013 15:50

smoking update!

A question to any fellow Saxo smokers! Do you consider lighting up whilst driving to be a hazard? If I'm in town I'll wait until I'm stationary-eg at traffic lights. On the open road if I want to start smoking I'll check that the road ahead is straight and relatively traffic free before taking out a cigarette-then look again before momentarilly dipping my eyes to light up. Also I make sure my cigarettes are close to hand before setting off and not covered up by the usual in car paraphanalia! I think it's crucial to remain focused at all times when driving and starting to smoke at the wheel-I'll admit-can be a temporary distraction.

Prickle 22nd June 2013 15:54

Not sure if retard or spambot

Cam 22nd June 2013 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prickle (Post 6332563)
Not sure if retard or spambot

Both I would say.

LAURA-SAXO-VTRS-BREAKERS 22nd June 2013 15:57

Good point. not something i think about now as i wont smoke in the car with my boy.
But before hand i'm sure i was guilty (maybe) . Think every journey has its distractions though.

lewismonteith 22nd June 2013 15:59

Before I gave up I'd smoke all the time driving, looking back I'd say it's more dangerous than being on your phone. If you drop your phone you can get it later, drop a fag and you're pretty fucked

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

McGuire86 22nd June 2013 16:10

Should be banned, even worse is when people throw their dog ends out the window. Had one bounce up onto my windshield once :clapping:

12u55 22nd June 2013 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by McGuire86 (Post 6332570)
Should be banned, even worse is when people throw their dog ends out the window. Had one bounce up onto my windshield once :clapping:

This, absoultely gets on my ends.
I'm more worried what damaged it'll do if it lodges in my engine bay somewhere, or gets stuck onto the body somewhere like a carrier bag does.
seen plenty of bin fires from just one cig end.

Brettles1986 22nd June 2013 17:11

Quote:

Someone did this before next to my brother on a dual carriageway, the dog end went through his window and landed on his daughters lap burning her inside leg.

AirVTS 22nd June 2013 18:51

Smoking kills as it is. Smoking and driving? Well, Einstein I ain't but I'm pretty sure it's not overly safe to look away from the road to start a fire just below your own nose!

blackie_2k5 22nd June 2013 19:06

Could just stop smoking

Then you'd have more money for crack..

Ali123 23rd June 2013 01:58

most of the time i keep my cigs up by the clocks so theyre just there , but yeah if im in a built up area i'll wait till im at a set of lights etc to light up

greyjasper51 23rd June 2013 02:39

Driving is the worst time for me... Ill light up anywhere unless im round town then ill wait until im stopped or going slow in a straight line...

Manu 23rd June 2013 07:02

OP sounds retar- very conscious about road safety :homme:

Go crash somewhere else when you'll drop it inside the cabin. Then have fun driving your ashtray, and smell like one once you get out..

wildrenegade 24th June 2013 01:30

http://www.superiorelectroniccigarette.co.uk/

get a e cig for driving

devilsadvocate 24th June 2013 07:34

Should be banned imo.

A) Fucking disgusting, especially if you are sitting behind a smoker in a line of traffic.
B) Most drivers throw their dog ends out of the window anyway.
C) I said so

EwynSaxo 24th June 2013 08:38

Normally wait till I'm out the car to have a cig but every now and then I'll have one in the car on first start up till its warm by that time its normally smoked
Dunno how anyone can say a fag could damage your car, throw a end out the window and the cherry ( the lit end for non smokers) will fly off straight away so its left with a bit of cotton wool tip, if that worry
ies you then you should seek mental help

Stissy 24th June 2013 11:00

On topic OP: as far as i know, its against the law to light a cigarette while driving anyway? Smoking is ok, but lighting one you should be stationary.

Quote:

it wouldn't do any damage anyway mate, even if its lit, for how long its in contact with your car you'd get more damage to the bodywork every journey from stone chips.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brettles1986 (Post 6332624)
Someone did this before next to my brother on a dual carriageway, the dog end went through his window and landed on his daughters lap burning her inside leg.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EwynSaxo (Post 6333466)
Normally wait till I'm out the car to have a cig but every now and then I'll have one in the car on first start up till its warm by that time its normally smoked
Dunno how anyone can say a fag could damage your car, throw a end out the window and the cherry ( the lit end for non smokers) will fly off straight away so its left with a bit of cotton wool tip, if that worry

spot on.

I've done it occasionally in the past - i'd usually use the ash tray to put the end out it, or waited until there was nobody about. i can understand it annoys people but in reality it'll never do any damage.

Manu 24th June 2013 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by EwynSaxo (Post 6333466)
so its left with a bit of cotton wool tip, if that worry

Not cotton.

Quote:

The composition of cigarette butts is largely misunderstood. Each butt contains remnants of tobacco and paper, as well as the filter. Filters may look like cotton, but they are actually made of plastic filaments. These are made from a type of plastic called cellulose acetate, which degrades very slowly – anywhere between 2 months and 15 years, depending on exposure to air and water.
Cigarette filters are specifically designed to accumulate particulate smoke components, including toxic chemicals such as cadmium, lead, arsenic and zinc. Littered butts leach these chemicals as they decompose, contributing to soil and water pollution and impacting on wildlife habitat.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stissy (Post 6333498)

spot on.

I've done it occasionally in the past - i'd usually use the ash tray to put the end out it, or waited until there was nobody about. i can understand it annoys people but in reality it'll never do any damage.

A dog end found its way into a Volvo truck's air filter and caught fire. With a trailer full of butter which also caught fire. With other trucks around, that also caught on fire. With the MontBlanc tunnel all around it, which also caught fire and killed 39 people in the process. The tunnel was closed for ages, and the resulting traffic jams produced previously unseen pollution peaks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Bl...#The_1999_fire

That's just one example of fire caused by a cig. I'm not too impressed at people throwing whatever out of the windows, and any other "yeah but" bullshit excuse that comes along.

Stissy 24th June 2013 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manu (Post 6333515)
Not cotton.

A dog end found its way into a Volvo truck's air filter and caught fire. With a trailer full of butter which also caught fire. With other trucks around, that also caught on fire. With the MontBlanc tunnel all around it, which also caught fire and killed 39 people in the process. The tunnel was closed for ages, and the resulting traffic jams produced previously unseen pollution peaks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Bl...#The_1999_fire

That's just one example of fire caused by a cig. I'm not too impressed at people throwing whatever out of the windows, and any other "yeah but" bullshit excuse that comes along.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The cause of the fire is disputed. Different accounts report it to be a cigarette stub carelessly thrown at the truck, and it supposedly entered the engine induction snorkel above the cab, setting the paper air filter on fire, a mechanical or electrical fault, or poor maintenance of the truck's engine.

this?.

0rang3peel 24th June 2013 12:13

I honestly can't believe people are worried about a fag end 'damaging' their car.

I'm not surprised it's Manu leading the charge of dribble, you had that replacement tin hat I ordered for you?

I can't believe it but I actually agree with everything Stissy has posted.