Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum

Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/index.php)
-   Track / Motorsport Prep' (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Running without heater matrix (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463508)

sri_130 23rd April 2014 10:56

Running without heater matrix

How do you track monkeys find events without the heater matrix?

I've resisted removing it, just for the blowers on the front screen - but it now looks silly with everything else removed.

I dont venture out in Winter - summer track days only - but you never can tell what the weather will do and steam up the screen.

Any other ideas? I heard of a heated front screen once upon a time.

VTR_Craig 23rd April 2014 11:43

I have one of these aimed at the screen

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...at=0&_from=R40

greyjasper51 23rd April 2014 14:28

yeah heated front screens are available but really expensive and will break and crack just like any other... i have taken it out and joined the pipes together with a joiner with an 8mm restriction hole in it. fog-ex or my favorite is bob heath antifog the inside of the screen and all is good, ive never had any problems :)

D4MJT 23rd April 2014 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by sri_130 (Post 6445284)
How do you track monkeys find events without the heater matrix?

I've resisted removing it, just for the blowers on the front screen - but it now looks silly with everything else removed.

I dont venture out in Winter - summer track days only - but you never can tell what the weather will do and steam up the screen.

Any other ideas? I heard of a heated front screen once upon a time.

We took MuZiZZle's out of his, and we've done some track days in it.

I'm also building a 106 for track use. I'm leaving the heater matrix in. Shit gets cold at speed.

Bonus Matt Top Tip: - If you do remove it, remember to put some coolant back in and bleed the system. You probably shouldn't just crack on, drive 1000 miles in a day to FCS, do 4 hours on track, get confused about how hot the engines running, and then eventually remember to put some coolant back in.

sri_130 23rd April 2014 14:48

i don't have a cigarette lighter anymore, so would have to just wire that in. but I might give it a go.

So.. joint the pipes together with a 'joiner' but whats this 8mm restriciton hole?!

greyjasper51 23rd April 2014 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by D4MJT (Post 6445380)
We took MuZiZZle's out of his, and we've done some track days in it.

I'm also building a 106 for track use. I'm leaving the heater matrix in. Shit gets cold at speed.

Bonus Matt Top Tip: - If you do remove it, remember to put some coolant back in and bleed the system. You probably shouldn't just crack on, drive 1000 miles in a day to FCS, do 4 hours on track, get confused about how hot the engines running, and then eventually remember to put some coolant back in.

spoken from experience?

D4MJT 23rd April 2014 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by greyjasper51 (Post 6445398)
spoken from experience?

School of life baby.

I'm good like.

Shit, but good.

AlexFocusST 23rd April 2014 15:28

personally left it in , although it will be hardly used in Greece i couldn't find any good reason other than weight loss off 2/3 kgs in total to justify its removal!

Gabbastard 23rd April 2014 20:17

I was thinking that the weight saving is so insubstantial for a fun track car its not really worth it, particularly when its losing weight from the middle of the car. Id rather just leave it in, youll see no difference.

Be different if you were chasing every ounce for a race/drag car.

sri_130 24th April 2014 18:52

The pipes are now joined as the engine is out, so took the whole lot out. No going back now!

D4MJT 24th April 2014 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by sri_130 (Post 6445844)
The pipes are now joined as the engine is out, so took the whole lot out. No going back now!

stock up on thick socks

sri_130 24th April 2014 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by D4MJT (Post 6445851)
stock up on thick socks

More weight though.

Stockings?

D4MJT 24th April 2014 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by sri_130 (Post 6445896)
More weight though.

Stockings?

this sounds impossibly sexy

welshpug 24th April 2014 20:42

you'll need a restrictor in that bypass pipe or the cooling system wont work as well.

D4MJT 24th April 2014 20:46

Is there any coolant in?

That also helps.

sri_130 24th April 2014 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by welshpug (Post 6445911)
you'll need a restrictor in that bypass pipe or the cooling system wont work as well.

Nope - what is the consequence of that?

106maxi 24th April 2014 21:30

Overheating.
There are two coolant circuits.
One passes round the back. The other through the radiator.
If you don't put a restrictor in then your coolant will just keep circulating round the back, and not through the rad.
We used a jubilee clip to compress the hose and it has worked a treat.

It was very nearly a VERY, VERY, VERY expensive mistake for us!

D4MJT 24th April 2014 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by 106maxi (Post 6445937)
Overheating.
There are two coolant circuits.
One passes round the back. The other through the radiator.
If you don't put a restrictor in then your coolant will just keep circulating round the back, and not through the rad.
We used a jubilee clip to compress the hose and it has worked a treat.

It was very nearly a VERY, VERY, VERY expensive mistake for us!

This.

All of this.

sri_130 24th April 2014 22:29

Best get something restricting it then.

What was used? A jubilee clip, might just have to do!

D4MJT 24th April 2014 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by sri_130 (Post 6445958)
Best get something restricting it then.

What was used? A jubilee clip, might just have to do!

I can't be super sure what was used, but the part where he says "we used a jubilee clip" could always be used as reference!