Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum

Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/index.php)
-   Saxo Engine/Performance (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   how do you pass mot with de-cat? (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185206)

_THE_STIG_ 3rd November 2008 23:36

how do you pass mot with de-cat?

i know you can just put it back on and a dodgey garage but is there any other way?

does anybody know anyone that would pass it in newcastle?

tom130691 3rd November 2008 23:48

recat for it or dodgey garage thats only ways i cnthink of

paddy88 3rd November 2008 23:50

nope i dont think so, i have just took mine off tonight, as M.O.T is tomorrow but its blowing at my manifold and cat join, so need to sort that out in the morning! good luck with the M.O.T Matey!

Prickle 3rd November 2008 23:53

i heard off reading threads on sax-p, you could pay the mot bloke a £10 or so to use the emissions off another car ftw :p

dsh85 4th November 2008 00:22

i wouldnt expect or dare even ask the above however! i have (very rarely) heard of some peoples passing as theyve taken it in after getting it really hot (i.e a thrashing beforehand)

although the reality of it is it probably wont happen and you mayaswell just put the cat back on

Mieran 4th November 2008 00:28

Ryan 4th November 2008 00:28

In an ideal world a saxo wouldnt need a cat to pass. IF it was running perfect etc.... cats are almost a security measure in most cases.

Rob-C 4th November 2008 00:30

couldnt you get a decatted car mapped well so it isnt running to rich?

get an afr gauge to see if its running to rich

Prickle 4th November 2008 00:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsh85 (Post 2675531)
i wouldnt expect or dare even ask the above however!

same here but people do it, thats why i put it in my post :)

Tom5190 4th November 2008 00:32

ive heard of saxos passing with a de-cat. im sure a lad on here said his did. haha and dont offer an extra 10er to MOT to pass you will get laughed at. if u rekon its guna fail you should jsut fit the cat back onto it.

Spanky 4th November 2008 07:54

Prickle 4th November 2008 10:22

why would you want a dodgy mot ?? lol

Steve 4th November 2008 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by _THE_STIG_ (Post 2675364)
i know you can just put it back on and a dodgey garage but is there any other way?

does anybody know anyone that would pass it in newcastle?

no its illegal.

Only way it could pass is if the engine is running mint and really hot to knock the emissions down, may scrape through.

But my VTS when it was in its prime with the Cat in wasnt far off failing.

Steve 4th November 2008 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_1.1i (Post 2676026)
why would you want a dodgy mot ?? lol

god knows, rather have a genuine one knowing my car was nice and safe to drive.

Fair enough little things but such things as fucked suspension are a no no for me.

Puts others at risk.

Jordy6969 4th November 2008 10:44

Atm I am looking for a garage to fit my raceland manifold onto my car which would effectively de-cat it. I was thinking..... is it possible to fit the mk1 standard VTR exhaust system with the cat included, onto my mk2 when the olde MOT comes around

Liam_ 4th November 2008 11:18

My 32k mile VTR failed the emissions test with no CAT in... it wasn't a million miles away but still failed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordy6969 (Post 2676081)
Atm I am looking for a garage to fit my raceland manifold onto my car which would effectively de-cat it. I was thinking..... is it possible to fit the mk1 standard VTR exhaust system with the cat included, onto my mk2 when the olde MOT comes around

You can do mate, yeah - saves swapping the manifold over.

Tony 4th November 2008 11:56

I really find it hard to believe that cars or saxos have got through MOTs with no CAT. This is because I have seen what a car needs to put out to pass and what it puts out with no CAT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordy6969 (Post 2676081)

Yes.

AlexB 4th November 2008 12:04

seen 2 cars recently pass mots with no cat
one was done legally just not sure how he managed it tbh was just withn the limits

the second was a cammed vts and had to get a dodgy garage to sort it

-jon- 4th November 2008 20:04

just had an mot on my vtr with decat supersprint centre section and backbox, the bloke wasnt gonna bother with the emmisions but does it any way just to see and it flew through. emmisions were fine.

Mr_suv 4th November 2008 20:13

mine legitly passed a mot with a decat christ knows how but we discovered when we put it on the ole emissions tester after we played with the timing that she was running 0.3 and my brother said it would go through and it did