Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum

Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vehicle Insurance (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Should you declare all your modifications? (http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116469)

Paul 9th December 2007 18:01

Should you declare all your modifications?

YES

Recently alot of the new members have been asking, "Should i declare my mods". The answer is a simple yes, Insurance companies are out to make a profit, if you mod your car and crash, they will not pay out.

Should you declare ICE?
Well ice is covered with your insurance upto a certain amount most of the time, Check your paperwork that your insurance company should send you in the post. Or you could phone them up and ask if your ICE is covered already. If you have expensive In-Car-Entertainment then i would definately phone them up and let them know.

What mods can you get away with?
Well insurance companies like quinn-direct, dont mind modifications that do not improve your cars performance. So mods like, Bucket seats, tinted windows, debadging, de-locking, etc, shouldnt really change the price of your quote. If so only a little.

Performance mods
As soon as you start making your car 'Faster', the insurance company will think of you as a boy-racer, dangerous driver etc. And this will affect your quote. If you still want to go ahead making your car faster, then i would suggest some simple breathing mods like induction kits etc. Basically the more you do, the more you pay.

Insurace Companies, Good for modding
>

> Adrian flux:
Quote:

Originally Posted by doely_gti (Post 1689623)
just to let you know, Adrian flux dropped 300 off my policy as they explained the bmc increased airflow and made car run more economical and the suspension/wider wheels improved stability as does the "show cage", morette's with HID kit improved visiblity all in all i declared every mod as they do like for like cover on mods so will replace it all!!!

>Brentacre Insurance Services Ltd
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg_vts (Post 1689723)
Im with Brentacre insurance and with my vts they have a 130 bhp policy (they do this with other cars too). Basically i pay my insurance and any mods i do wont cost any more as long as i do not breach the 130bhp limit. The mods include suspension, brakes, exhaust, filter, de-cat, wheels, bodywork...the insurance will only increase through the year if i go mad and get cams, re-map, throttle bodies...you still have to declare the mods you make but its a good deal i reckon.

Brentacre Insurance Services Ltd
98, Mansel St, Swansea, West Glamorgan SA1 5UE
Tel: 01792 650933

>Bell
Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 1689744)
Bell are also good for mods...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulless (Post 1689918)
agreed with David there. :)

although I will say that if you have an accident with Bell, they dont pay out for modifications.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shooorn94 (Post 2043649)
Just to add another quote for a company for Paul.

I'm with CIS (co-operative insurance) and they do not allow any modifications other than standard parts-this means that wheels must be the same size as what they were when the car left the factory (Citroen 13" alloys are allowed however) however interior (seats, ICE, etc.) you do not need to declare.. at least this is what Martin the CIS telephone advisor person told me. "So a 106/vtr interior is considerred standard as peugeot and citreon are both part of the PSA group"

Tbh CIS aren't worth getting insured with if you intend on modifying. Parts for my car are laying around the house e.g. strut brace, and my induction kit was, had to sell it. :n:

> Pm me suggestions please so i can get a list going.
Hope this helps, and if anyone can improve it, please post so i can update it.

Dez 9th December 2007 18:02

Glad you started this one comes up all to often

Wayne 9th December 2007 22:37

excellent information there mate:y:

doely_gti 10th December 2007 00:58

just to let you know, Adrian flux dropped 300 off my policy as they explained the bmc increased airflow and made car run more economical and the suspension/wider wheels improved stability as does the "show cage", morette's with HID kit improved visiblity all in all i declared every mod as they do like for like cover on mods so will replace it all!!!

Dom_sufc 10th December 2007 01:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by doely_gti (Post 1689623)

wow, cannot wait till my renewal comes up. I wish all insurance companies thought like them!

johnnyg_vts 10th December 2007 07:33

Im with Brentacre insurance and with my vts they have a 130 bhp policy (they do this with other cars too). Basically i pay my insurance and any mods i do wont cost any more as long as i do not breach the 130bhp limit. The mods include suspension, brakes, exhaust, filter, de-cat, wheels, bodywork...the insurance will only increase through the year if i go mad and get cams, re-map, throttle bodies...you still have to declare the mods you make but its a good deal i reckon.

Brentacre Insurance Services Ltd
98, Mansel St, Swansea, West Glamorgan SA1 5UE
Tel: 01792 650933

David 10th December 2007 08:37

Bell are also good for mods...

Karl 10th December 2007 10:23

agreed with David there. :)

although I will say that if you have an accident with Bell, they dont pay out for modifications.

SaxoJamie 10th December 2007 10:53

Some good info there mate:y:

richiepikka 11th December 2007 19:21

deffo declare everything you may regret it guys....i think admiral is pretty good you can declare mods on website and get quote straight away which some dont let you do

Paul 16th December 2007 01:23

Updated post one :)

Cheers for input guys :y:

Chico999 18th December 2007 09:30

I phoned adrian flux and got an excellent quote. My bro is also with them and they fully understand the need for mods!lol.
Better still to tell them everything tho!

doely_gti 18th December 2007 09:39

also just found this:

Adrian Flux are able to offer up to 15% discount on policies for Saxperience Members and welcome modified vehicles, young drivers and convicted drivers.

lukedorritt 26th January 2008 23:22

Hi i was just wondering if you should declare all mods even when your tpft. Forgetting fire and theft; if someone crashed into you and you claimed on their insurance, your insurance does not deal with the issue and so mods aren't seen too? Also how much would tints, and an induction kit add to a premium on a furio which is 2200 tpft beforehand?

doely_gti 26th January 2008 23:57

each and every quote goes for personal details, e.g. a guy i insured 2day was 23 with a x5 bmw, even though he was older than me, driving longer etc, his postcode made it £2000 dearer for him than it would me!

lifes a biatch lol

Paul 27th January 2008 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukedorritt (Post 1824354)
Hi i was just wondering if you should declare all mods even when your tpft. Forgetting fire and theft; if someone crashed into you and you claimed on their insurance, your insurance does not deal with the issue and so mods aren't seen too? Also how much would tints, and an induction kit add to a premium on a furio which is 2200 tpft beforehand?

Yes mate, declare all mods.

They can still send someone to check your vehicle, Imagine if you crashed into a supercar (£100,000+), insurance company is going to try doing everything in their power not to pay out.

Hope this helps mate.

lukedorritt 27th January 2008 17:37

looks like il bedeclaring then lol

how much extra for tints and an induction kit on a furio

lukedorritt 27th January 2008 17:40

with quinn paying 2000 tpft

Paul 30th January 2008 14:13

Quinn wont charge you for any mod's that dont increase performance, you dont even need to let them know about them.

I rang up the other day,

"I'd like to declare some mods please"
"Ok, do any of them increase performance"
"No"
"In that case you dont need to let us know mate"

:)

Just phone them up mate, they're quite easy to talk to. They're irish but have quite good manners ;)

This is only with quinn-direct^

LinfeildFc4Life 7th February 2008 11:10

with quinn direct paying 987.00 for a 1.1 saxo first car to thought was a class price