View Single Post
Old 2nd March 2011, 10:53   #235
chinkostu
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Car(s): Xantia 1.9TD
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
chinkostu is a jewel in the roughchinkostu is a jewel in the roughchinkostu is a jewel in the roughchinkostu is a jewel in the rough

Thought i'd be nice and get some pictures as some people are really struggling to do this. also bumps it back up

Dewipering a saxo, for beginners

So, you have your car, complete with wiper

Before you start, you'll need these tools

13mm spanner/socket
10mm socket
Mole grips/pliers
Plusgas/wd40 or similar
t20 torx bit (best bet is using one on a screwdriver as the torx keys are naff for this)
Grommet (unsure on size as used one in boot)
20 minutes of your time
A brew

What you want to do is lift up the flap covering the nut, if its stuck use some wd/plusgas on it and try to lever it up at the end. It should eventually come free, and you will be left looking at a 13mm nut on the end of the wiper shaft

Get your 13mm socket/spanner and loosen the nut off. remember, to the left! If its stuck, use some wd/plusgas on the nut and let it soak in.

Now heres the part some people seem to struggle with. Take the wiper arm off the shaft, it sometimes sticks (i put mine on to do this guide and got it stuck) so you have to wiggle it around a bit. Usually lifting up the wiper arm and levering it gently back and forth gets it off.

From there, you will see a little plastic ring on the top. Gently pry it off.

Then take your grips/pliers and remove the nut thats underneath (remember, left guys!) if its stuck use wd40 but it should just be a bit stiff and can't really be undone by hand.

From there, prise the smaller cover off (will probably be stuck on with dirt and grit so use nails!).

And you're left with this.

Thats everything for outside, so open the boot and using your torx screwdriver remove the interior trim. The screws are on either side of the trim and theres one in the handle inside.

Underneath lies the motor.

First unplug the wiper motor. there were 2 types of plug, one thats brown and round like this (earlier saxo's)

and the other was flat like so (later saxos)

Once its unplugged, grab your 10mm socket/spanner (socket is far easier) and undo the 3 goldish bolts on the motor.

Right, moment of truth. grab your wiper motor and gently ease it out. its a bit of a faff as the 3 holes never seem to line up flush so you get stuck on the bolt threads. eventually it should just fall out in your hand.

At this point i reassembled the wiper on my parcel shelf to keep the bits safe

Now either push the grommet out from inside, or prise it out from the outside

You'll probably find that you have a nice dirty patch left where the grommet was. If you're bonding in the new grommet, be sure to wipe the hole down.

Then simply push your new grommet into the hole. iI you're bonding it in then smear a tiny bit on the hole and the edge of the grommet.

You'll finally be left with this

Inside

Be sure to tuck the wiring out of the way of the actuator, so as not to jam it open/shut!

Make sure you've got wiring tucked away so you can replace your boot trim by offering it up and clipping it into place (bottom of fist works well!) and replace the screws.

The end result on my old car

then drink your brew!

I don't see why so many people resort to hacking it off, as its simple enough (i've done it on a 16 year old 306 and 2 saxos!) and then if you need to replace it (selling on!) you have it there!

Last edited by chinkostu; 2nd March 2011 at 11:03.
chinkostu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chinkostu For This Useful Post: