View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2014, 21:07   #156
willsy
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): '64 Volvo V40 R’Design, '89 Ph1 309 GTi, ‘97 Mk1 S
iTrader Score: 125 (100%)
willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!

Cheers guys :-) I am very pleased with it. The bumper does have a few small scuffs and light scratches still but they don't look half as noticeable now I've spent some time on it and got it as good as it can possibly get

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsVTR View Post
How do you get your bumpers to look that spotless?! .. What's the secret?
Stage 1 - clean them with Autosmart Tardis and work it in with a toothbrush. I've gone over every inch of it until it's as clean as possible. That's the time consuming part as I've literally cleaned it to death until no residue is noticeable on the baby wipes used for wiping down
Stage 2 - heat gun used to go over the plastic, almost immediately the natural pigment returns to the surface and it's back to its true colour. In theory this should only need to be done once to give it a 'fresh start' regular care after that will keep it tip top.
Stage 3 - whilst the plastic is still warm apply Auto Glym Vinyl & rubber care. The bumper will absorb the product well and the moisture that's lost over the years whilst it's fading in the sun is replenished a bit.
Stage 4 - when cool apply a second cost of AG vinyl & rubber care
Stage 5 (optional) apply AG bumper gel as a nice top coat.

And that's it. It took hours for me to clean the bumper at stage 1. So much moss stains, tar and general road crap to remove. Worth every minute spent though :-)
willsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to willsy For This Useful Post: