Old 15th May 2015, 08:39   #12
sri_130
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
sri_130 is on a distinguished road

Minor/Major update...

Source of not starting was confirmed to be:

Bird poo solder had turned brittle. As I took the dash out, I must have disturbed it behind the electrical tape. Connector block fix and it was back up and running.

My cousin kindly cut my flanges, so collected them. Will need a custom downpipe making, but that's a fair way off.

Irronically discovered that the turbo I've bought is oil cooled only, so will need some OEM water pipes to put mine back to normal (GT17 is both oil and water)...not sure why I didn't notice earlier, but no biggy.

Also, the compressor outlet V-band with O-ring turned up from Darkside developments, so barring the downpipe, I think I have everything to fit the new turbo on.

So thats the minor ones out of the way...

The major issue has always been the water leak. After replacing the rear plastic water pump housing (and re-sealing) the leak was still there.

I thought I'd re-seal everything else, just to rule them out (pipes already checked)...

Thermostat housing was ok, but re-sealed:

The O-ring was missing on the plastic housing take-off, but there was enough gasket seal to make up for it! Cleaned, re-sealed and O-ring purchased.

Put them back on and zero difference. The leak is still there.

So, I'd originally identified that the water was mysteriously running down the block, near a core plug on the rear. But I assumed, it was because it was dripping onto it from somewhere else - but with my helpful comedy friend Jim kicking around, I cleaned the block with some old rags and then watched it instantly bead as if from nowhere on the block itself.

It would appear the block has cracked

I do have 2 engines awaiting fettling, but I'd hoped to have them as a side rebuild project rather than having to get them out now. The plan was always to get this engine (standard internals) up to where I want it with the new stuff (turbo, pipe work, radiator etc) and then extract it all and make it nice and shiney + replace the engine oil seals or engine and re-install with an engine bay make over.

Comedy Jim had an idea:

As my new turbo isn't water cooled, I thought I might as well give it a bash, to at least stop coolant pissing all over the garage floor.

Unfortunately I was too hasty to see if the kseal had mixed into the water and undid the radiator cap to an erruption. LOL.

Results at the weekend.

Last edited by sri_130; 15th May 2015 at 08:43.
sri_130 is offline   Reply With Quote