View Single Post
Old 10th July 2018, 21:54   #142
sri_130
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
sri_130 is on a distinguished road

It's been a while.

Discovered the thermostat was shagged, so swapped it out for a new one. Minor update really.

I also bought some brakes, because the car goes fast, but didn't want to stop.

A pair of Hispec Billet 4 calipers came up on an FB group, complete with discs and pads, so I took a punt on them.

They required a couple of dust seals, a new pin & some anti-rattle springs. I had some HEL lines made up, with a 90 degree banjo to suit.

Cleaned up the discs as best as I could and put them on.

I upgraded to a 23mm master cylinder. Bought a new one from ECP. The 406 1.8 also had the same and it didn't have ABS either. Bolt on upgrade for £45.

New harnesses. Didn't feel safe in the old ones. They were fake and from 2003. These are TRS Magnums, just branded differently.

Also fitted a steering rack gaiter, as it was missing.

I think I'm going to get my spare head rebuilt. The current one is the reused item from the previous engine. It carries a misfire on start-up and throws blue smoke out of the back, until it has cleared it's throat and warmed a little. I've always suspected valve stem seals, but it's getting worse and is a bit embarrassing when it has been stood for a while. That'll be winters project I reckon.

Also, there is petrol in the oil.
I suspect this is caused by the fact the front lambda is unplugged (had a wideband in there).
At low rpm and idle, the AFR is in the 11's and lower! I've put it off for a while, but I had better sort it now I've smelt the oil.
Wayne suggested wiring the wideband up to the ECU on its low voltage output and I will definitely do that in the future - I have to re-do all that wiring anyway, as it's poo.
For now, I've unplugged the second lambda, which was sleeved and extended the wiring so it reaches the new downpipe and connected it to the loom (front plug) as it should be.
I technically now, have no second lambda, but I'm hoping that it is the same as the Clio's (1*2's), which don't actually adjust anything anyway - just illuminate the EML to state the cat isn't effective. If anyone knows this to be true or false, then please confirm.

Will change the oil tomorrow and test it.

I've also booked in with a local company to corner weight it. Interested to see what it weighs and the split across the axles. I'll also know the bhp per tonne, so will give me something to talk about in the pub. Will update when it is done at the end of the month.

Last edited by sri_130; 10th July 2018 at 21:58.
sri_130 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sri_130 For This Useful Post: