Old 20th September 2020, 20:43   #156
sri_130
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
sri_130 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_130 View Post
For those who still remain and are interested, some updates are due in the new few weeks.
Just waiting on parts to be delivered and items to be repaired.

- Head is getting new stem seals and a check over
- New Head gasket (Athena)
- Arp head stud kit

I wrote that a year a go (+ a couple of months). Finally started work on it.

Not that anyone is on here anymore. But just in case.....

----------

The head went for a test, new stem seals and a skim.
The block went for a skim as well. Although it didn't need one, it was nice to see that it was/is flat. And a flexi-hone as well.
I also had the crank reground. So ended up with new shells and mains. Went for ACL this time. Seen as though I am now a baller.

Local firm, Lockside engineering did the work. Good value and they also chucked in some free WellSeal (never used this, but my old man wanted it) and some piston ring pliers. Which was nice.

Last year I compression checked the engine and found that 1 cylinder was great, the others were less so. This was because when I got the block and pistons, one of rods (stock) was bent. I replaced the rings on that lone cylinder but left the rest. Whilst it made good power, it was in the back of my mind. So rang Wossner and got a full new set.

Decided to splash out on some decent assembly lube as well. In for a penny and all that.

After trying to get an Athena head gasket, ended up settling for the Cometic 5 layer one. Athena promised one (well the distributor) but it was weeks of bullshitting in the end. This will be more than enough I suspect. Everyone has said I didn't need it, but I'm paranoid. Cest la vie.

Took ages to get the torque values for the ARP head studs. Likely as they are not actually for this engine. ARP never made any. Looks to have been some collaboration between the usual and well known peugeot and citroen tuners who discovered that ones from a VW beetle actually fit. So they sell them, but remove any identity of the part codes from ARP. No probs with this, but if you don't get the paper instructions in the box as to what torque values they should be.... it's just guess work.
Pug1off let me know. Its 60 ft/lb if anyone else ever needs to know. In 3 staged increments of 20.

Loads more to do, but at least the motivation is back.

Also had the downpipe modified just recently. To include another lambda take-off. I was going to wire the wide band (on its narrow band output) to the ECU, but decided I'm not very good at wiring. So will just run two separately.
Also I need to figure out how to stabilise the turbo as it's hanging all off the manifold which is made of paper. So to start this process, I had a metal tab welded, so the downpipe can be fixed to the bell housing. Which is just a small element of the work ahead.

BOOST.
sri_130 is offline   Reply With Quote