View Single Post
Old 24th September 2019, 16:08   #10
Stissy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Nikes
Stissy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinObviously View Post
Well I still tell people the Saxo/106 is the best thing since sliced bread, but secretly my 2016 Alto Works is a far better car, so much more advanced and nicer to drive.

Ahh well

106 is still better with it's really slow Bosch ECU.
100%. I think there are a couple of things that come in to play with the Saxo / 106. The first is the nostalgia. I will always have a soft spot for the car because it reminds me of being 17/18. Driving around with my mates, fitting a few modifications, listening to music, racing other shit hatchbacks, going to Tesco at 11pm on a Wednesday to buy something to eat and a couple of beers – just because we could. I look back on those times with very fond memories. The second is the experience you get driving the car. I still have both a VTS and 106 Rallye, whenever I take the Saxo out I’m never really sure whether I’m going to make it home again. The car is so basic and poorly built compared to modern cars, the brakes are soft, the gears are loose, the stock steering doesn’t build much confidence and anything over 60 feels like the car is going to rattle itself apart, but at the same time, all of those things make the car excellent fun to drive. It’s a great car.
Stissy is offline   Reply With Quote