View Single Post
Old 14th September 2022, 13:02   #194
sri_130
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
sri_130 is on a distinguished road

So, I fitted a new turbo - which was the same as the one that came off.

I put an inline oil filter to it, this time.

Had a couple of dramas with the actuator bracket, as it wasn't the same as my old turbo and thus, wouldn't allow me to fit the bloody thing. But sorted it, in the end.
This turbo also came with studs fitted to the exhaust flange, wherease my old one just required bolts. Prefer the studs tbf.

We are back running. Albeit, at low boost for a while. This rebuild has had a turbulent start, so I'll increase the boost incrementally. This can be done from inside the car now, with the EBC, which is great.

I still have an outstanding issue with the valve guides. I believe these are worn and were not picked up by the machine shop, when I had new stem seals put in/skim/ etc. It is only visible at cold start, where blue smoke appears for about 10 seconds.
I can live with it for now, as the car isn't really used anyway, but it is annoying, considering the effort and cost gone into it, thus far.

Autumn/Winter I would like to focus on the rear. Getting the underside cleaned/protected and dropping the axle to put some polybushes in.

However, for the final few dry weekend days, I'll mostly be booting it around locally, making turbo noises.

Last edited by sri_130; 14th September 2022 at 14:53.
sri_130 is offline   Reply With Quote