View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2022, 22:08   #186
sri_130
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
sri_130 is on a distinguished road

I have delayed the MOT but done a few test runs, to see how the car goes.

With this new 'setup' of intercooler and pipe work, engine rebuild etc etc. the actuator pressure is actually 10psi So that's what is boosts to, at the moment.
I presume with the shorter pipe run (literally half the path) with less joiners and a single pass, rather than twin pass intercooler - there are less leaks and less voids to fill, hence the better pressure on the same actuator as before. Could also be the Astra diesel van intercooler was just poo.

It feels ace. The clutch took a few mins to get warm and bed in, but after that, it was all smiles.

https://youtube.com/shorts/EneQYWD1r28?feature=share

I think I wired the oil temperature the wrong way round - as it shows a negative temp! LOL.

https://youtube.com/shorts/PcuLaAw2HVo?feature=share

Only problem came about 15 minutes into the testing. The AFR at idle dropped to 9! Black smoke and hesitation at lower revs.
Got home and plugged it in, to see P0170. Check lambda values and they were either 0.2v or 4.98v! which is crazy.
Unplugged the lambda, but the car stayed the same. Low AFR and struggling to idle.
I left it overnight, but the next day, it started up and was the same. Same odd lambda values reported as well.

Only cure was to clear the codes and it was fine again. Lambda values returned the normal and AFR back at 14.7 on idle.

Not totally sure what is going on, but obviously start with the Lambda replacement. I have a slight concern that it is too close to the turbo... so maybe it is super heating or something. So I've ordered a spacer, to try and get it a bit further away.
The wideband o2 sensor is further down the pipe work and that seems to be ok.

Interestingly my old MT2500 snap-on scanner calls the p0170 code as "fuel injection malfunction" yet google seems to suggest this a is a fuel trim code. Presuming it is just the same thing. Just find it odd, that clearing the codes reset it... hmmm.

Used an old heat gun and some trim restorer, on the exterior.

Also had these rear door cards forever. They fit pretty terrible, but they'll do! Keep the road noise down a little.

Also the blue smoke at startup, seems to be reduced. Unlikely to be fully resolved, but need do a few hundred miles before changing the running in oil and see what happens.

Last edited by sri_130; 23rd May 2022 at 22:17.
sri_130 is offline   Reply With Quote