View Single Post
Old 3rd February 2009, 13:07   #9
willsy
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): '64 Volvo V40 R’Design, '89 Ph1 309 GTi, ‘97 Mk1 S
iTrader Score: 125 (100%)
willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!

With many rear axles if the initial fault isnt diagnosed quickly enough you often find that the knackered bearings will have started to grind on the axles stub pins

This is there the main ball ache occurs since citroen do not make these replacement pins and instead you have to fork out £350 for the full centre of the rear beam.

So by just fitting new bearings and seals they will quickly fail and cause problems again simply because they no longer have a smooth surface to operate on.

Reconditioning services on ebay i dont know whether they simply just replace the bearings and seals which you can buy all those bits direct from citroen for well under £100 (which includes both sides!)

A service offered by jpsaxo and piggy123 (brothers who fully refurbish rear beams with their dad Andy) is the full reconditioning. They have somewhere that remove the old knackered stub pins and press in the brand new ones. They then fit all the new bearings and seals and reassemble the beam.

You'll need to check on prices with them but im pretty sure its around £300 and to my knowledge is the ONLY GUARANTEED way to ensure that you have a perfectly new rear beam that wont cause problems again a few months down the line like buying 2nd hand or just swapping the simple bits would do.

I have seen their work too and can whole heartedly say that its a damn good deal that they offer for the price. Furthermore they offer lowering services aswel
willsy is offline   Reply With Quote