View Single Post
Old 20th January 2010, 20:22   #6
nads2030
L-plater

Car(s): 1999 1.4 westcoast Mango colour
nads2030 is on a distinguished road

Regards ignition barrel.
If you can get the ignition barrel and cables out from under the column intact, (which I have done ) you will see a small torx screw which holds the white plastic part and cables to the metal part of the ignition barrel.
Unscrew the torx screw and seperate the two pieces about half an inch. Then you should be able to lift the plastic part away from the metal part of the barrel. You should then be able to turn the key in the ignition barrel again. When mine went, there were some rotating bits in the plastic part which had melted and fused together, which then stopped the key from turning. I went to local scrapyard and picked up just the white plastic part and cables. Cost me a fiver and I did'nt need to change the key.
PS. When seperating the two parts, be gentle, there is a tiny spring in there which can jump out. ( I lost the spring the first time I did this job ).
It may sound difficult but with patience it can be done, and it is a lot cheaper than new barrel and key, then getting the key coded to the car.
Good luck
nads2030 is offline   Reply With Quote