View Single Post
Old 4th March 2006, 22:02   #21
oilman
Established Member

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
oilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud of

According to my database all Saxos from the 1.0 to the 1.6VTS show either 10w-40 or 5w-40 as the recomended engine oil.

So what the whole oil debate here boils down to is not what grade to use, you have a choice it's 5w-40 or 10w-40.

The questions are

What quality do you need

What are the differences between 10w-40 and 5w-40

What are the benefits/downsides of using 10w-40 or 5w-40

Many car owners unwittingly change the OEM oil recommendation by modding their car or using it on track. These factors influence firstly the quality of oil you use and in extreme situations where cars have been heavily modded (generating more heat within the engine) sometimes the viscosity required.

I have a lot of articles on this stuff, some written bu me and some by chemists and technical bods that I have day to day dealings with.

I will post these up over the coming days as questions arise but here is one that will be of interest.

Cheers
Simon
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote