View Single Post
Old 8th July 2013, 23:09   #5
Mickswan
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 2003 Icelandic Grey 16v VTR 1991 Daihatsu GTti
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
Mickswan is on a distinguished road

Update on my motor, been grafting away on it today and made some progress sorting out majority of the remaining issues it has along with uncovering a new problem.

So with the weather being good and being bored I got cracking, initial plan for today was to replace the wishbones, dampners, springs and top strut bearings.

Jacked it up, wheels off removed all the wishbone bolts and some were a right bastard to get off. When I lifted the carpet the soundproofing was in tact so the wishbones or ball joints had never been done. Just as well after I took the wishbones off the ball joints were clearly shagged.

Out with the old

Next up, struts off. Bit of a arse on by myself but used a trolley jack to take the weight and the came off no bother.

Once I had the strut off I noticed that the jubile clip on my cv boot was missing, had a quick look inside and it was empty. I was surprised as I've had the wheels off a few times and none off the telltale signs of brown gunk in the inside of my rims.

Biggest ballache of the day, 12 mile round bus ride to halfords so get a jubile clip seeing as my car was in bits.

Home, cv boot packed with grease and clipped up. Jobs a good one.

As I finished this, my old man came home so rather than get the spring compresers out I chucked the struts and new bits in his motor and took them to my mates garage. £10 and 30 minutes later the new dampners, springs and top bearings were done.

Refitted the struts and got the new wishbones out.

In with the new

Keeping a long story long all back together, I even fitted a lower strut brace for shits and giggles. Giggles it wasn't when I tried to drive it off the driveway and bang (slightly exaggerated), this little bastard hit the lower brace.

Made a little ramp and drama averted.

Final result of today, a little lower at the front however my car is now mechanically sound. Plus it looks like sorting the CV boot issue has got rid of the knocking on full lock.

Next on the list is fit my upper brace, again for shits and giggles and i should have my S wheels back from the powder coaters this week.

Plans after that are

Lower the back end a little
S interior
Electric mirrors
Fit new wing when it arrives
Maybe upgrade the brakes

My plans for keeping it standard have gone out the window, but why not.
Mickswan is offline   Reply With Quote