View Single Post
Old 8th February 2019, 15:36   #18
Adam32
L-plater

Adam32 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furioman View Post
not sure if you going to be back, but the place you are likely to break them on removal is along the roof line there are two small standoffs pressed in to the roof panel about 80cm apart, i used one of the blade style removal tools and hit the standoff pushed the tool up and cracked the screen( was already damaged but this split it in two )

Also there are two plastic clips that set the height of the windscreen at the bottom but you will see these with the wiper panel removed, i think you would have a good chance of removal with the abrasive wire cutting tool.

once you have cut three sides out you can tilt the screen and access the last part with a stanley knife.

I appreciate your reply, as everyone else has been a complete prick, especially bedford126 and Stevo67.

I managed to find a car with a screen on Monday at a local scrap yard and cut it out. It all came out in one piece without a crack.

This is my workflow - I made a hole with a thin knife at each corner and threaded cutting wire through. Some time ago I drilled a hole through the knife blade so it grips the wire to push it through. I then did all the corners with the wire by hand (a few inches around). Once the corners were done, I then used my MILWAUKEE C12MT multi tool with a Fein cutting blade to do the straights. The bottom of the screen is quite thick with polyurethane, but the multi tools cuts 95% of it. The rest was easily cut with a stanley blade, as all other sides were cut.

Actually it was a really easy job. The Fein multi tools is super fast on the straights. The whole screen took me no more than 45 minutes. It would be possible to do it a lot quicker, but I wanted to be super careful to make sure I did not crack it.

I repeat, it's not rocket science, and anyone who thinks otherwise should not leave the house alone.

Here are some photos

Adam32 is offline   Reply With Quote