Thread: Pads
View Single Post
Old 9th November 2012, 11:50   #17
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Corolla AE86 Peugeot 205 B18C (in bits)
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamskiTNR View Post
Well, you're wrong. The kinetic energy is transferred directly into heat energy and the same amount of kinetic energy is transferred regardless of the brake compound. If you can tell me where that kinetic energy goes, other than heat, then i will apologise.
I'm not arguing that. Its about how the heat energy is created and then disipated.
I'll clarify as reading back I was not clear.

To slow from one set speed to a lower set speed then X amount of heat will be created. This is not going to change with what pads you run but whether its removed effectively will differ and will effect things at the next braking zone.
With the uprated pads allowing a shorter effective braking distance the heat spike will be sharper, but there is more time for the braking system to dissipate heat. The discs are then cooler at the next corner. The braking system is not as stressed or at risk of overloading as peak temperatures are kept more in control.
Over time this is why the OE system fails after multiple laps.
In racing you want to want the temperature highs and lows to be as close together as a consistent brake temperature will allow precision lap after lap.

Kev
KamRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KamRacing For This Useful Post: