View Single Post
Old 19th April 2023, 11:46   #25
sri_130
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
sri_130 is on a distinguished road

You could do some tuft tests!

I've a slight concern for you, that you may hit some temperature related issues. I hope not. but this was why I halted my plan to use an air dam, in a similar way, many years ago. I don't know how to work out the maths - so you might be ok, depending on the aperture for the flow to exit the tray, but I can't make much out, on the photos.

The dam and under tray creates low pressure under the car, which in turn acts like a venturi/suction to pull the air out of the engine bay, at speed - as well as the primary job of downforce... But...if the rear of the tray is sealed, or the exit isn't good/big enough, for engine bay air to join the underside of the car, beyond this point... I think you may hit issues.

The air going over the bonnet is high pressure, so wouldn't be 'sucked' into the vents on the top, at speed - Unless, the low pressure isn't there - being fully blocked off from joining the underside rear of the car due to not enough exit space or it being sealed in. It could create some weird air flow actually and I think you may disrupt the flow enough for the radiator also, by needing all air to mainly traverse out of the top of the engine bay - where all the high pressure exists, it may not hit its efficiency.

I mean, I never got as far, into testing, so what do I know... But my final plan was to halt the under tray before the bulkhead, leaving enough of a void behind the engine for the flow to work - but still provide the many downforces I was expecting! lolz. I did research it, I promise. It was over 10 years ago though, so apologies.

Good luck either way. might be worth a quick post on other forums/threads like timeattack or something - just to make me look dumb, if nothing else and put your (or my) mind at rest.

Last edited by sri_130; 19th April 2023 at 11:48.
sri_130 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sri_130 For This Useful Post: