View Single Post
Old 3rd September 2014, 18:11   #11
Mi5terSIR
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): saxo vtr 1.4, xsara was my last car
Mi5terSIR is on a distinguished road

laptops can be OK for gaming, im currently using a sony vaio VGN-AR61M

core 2 duo t9500 (not brilliant but does ok)
nvidia 8400M GT (yup i has had the bga go once, but i reballed it)
the graphics chip overclocks lovely with the right drivers, and it is possible to play gta 4 @ 720P at about 40fps.

far cry 3 is playable
gta sa is playable (max settings would you beleive)
all the need for speeds work lovely

it plays most games perfectly fine, but if your looking for 60+fps at 1080P with mad amounts of draw distance and high quality texture settings, then get a desktop, theres only so much you can do with them

i suppose its down to what its capable of, not what it currently can do, even though overclocking a laptop isnt ideal, with reasonable cooling and mods, it will be fine. and will play a lot of games if you know what your doing, just be ready to invest in a new cpu at some point, and for the love of god, make sure the graphics arent intergrated, amd's HD4250 mobility graphics are utter bollocks. and intels intergrated solutions are even worse.

if it has an mxm/mxm-II slot then you can make quite a ballsy laptop.

also, say goodbye to your battery life as things start getting faster. even with a 12000mah battery i modified myself to hold more 18650's it eats through it in just over an hour if its working quite hard.

but then again, this t9500 is at 4 ghz, and that probably does not help at all.....
Mi5terSIR is offline   Reply With Quote