View Single Post
Old 8th July 2019, 12:50   #202
Stissy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Nikes
Stissy is on a distinguished road

A few updates.

The engine bay and strut welding has finished, the engine bay has been painted in an anticorrosive undercoat and sprayed matte white. The engine was refitted on Saturday. There were a few issues along the way; the alternator was seized, so a new one was ordered and fitted. Initially the engine wouldn’t turn over, but we traced this to a poor earth where the engine bay had been repainted, once the paint had been ground off the car started without any problem. The fuel line connections on top of the pump and around the filter, which was fitted at the pump, leaked, these were removed and replaced with braided hose – eventually the whole line will be braided. The throttle cable is really long, I’m not entirely sure why but on a thread started by one of the previous owners they stated a longer throttle cable was fitted for the S1 inlet, but the long cable caused issues with the idle speed. Depending on where the cable ran and sat in the engine bay, the car’s idle differed. This needed adjusting and securing which has solved the issue for now, but eventually I will look to fit a shorter cable. Lastly, when refitting the brakes, the connection from the brake line to the caliper on the driver’s side front broke, which needs replacing.

Along with the brake caliper, there are a few other outstanding issues. There are a few minor bits of welding still to complete on the cars floorpan. When refitting the passenger driveshaft we noticed the gaiter was leaking. I will probably end up changing both sides, as they’re looking a bit tired. It needs an aux belt – the one supplied with the alternator was the wrong shape. The ECU, fuse box and washer bottle don’t have threads to bolt to, the original metalwork containing the holes were cut out and replaced when the engine bay was welded, I need to drill a few holes and bolt these in. The car needs a fuel filter as it was removed when the lines leaked. I bought a new battery prior to refitting the engine, but the car has screw down terminals. I bought one adaptor for the negative side, but the car is still missing a positive side adaptor. A few wheels bolts are missing, a few bulbs are out/missing. The side indicator cover on the driver’s side is missing. Wipers are missing. The car has nothing on the open side of the S1 inlet, so it needs an air filter and oil breather. Finally, the interior, seats and belts etc. still need fitting. Otherwise, it’s looking pretty good. Big thanks to the lads at Wheatley Motorsport and Chad Cars.

The car is still in the garage to sort the brakes and refill the gearbox oil. After which I’ll bring it home and fix the rest.

Pictures to follow.

Last edited by Stissy; 8th July 2019 at 12:53.
Stissy is offline   Reply With Quote