View Single Post
Old 26th November 2022, 21:14   #1
george7378

george7378 is on a distinguished road
Default Normal movement/play for new driveshafts?

Last year I got a pair of new driveshafts to eventually go on my 2002 1.1 Saxo, and they've been sat in storage since then - sometimes outside, sometimes inside.

I pulled them out the box today to have another look, and all the joints have lost most of their lubrication. The outer ones feel like there's barely any grease in them at all - loads of resistance from the bearings and they stick at whatever angle I turn them to. So I definitely need to unclip the gaiters and re-grease all the joints for some reason!

My question though is about the inner joints that go into the gearbox - what's the normal amount of movement there for the shafts on these cars?

For me, the left axle in particular (shortest one) doesn't allow for much angle movement compared to the fairly flexible right one, and there's almost no linear play when I push/pull along the left axle. The right one does slide when I push inwards but not when I try to extend it.

Anyway is this how they're supposed to be? I thought the inner joints were meant to slide freely in/out quite a lot and I'd expect them to both behave in the same way?
george7378 is offline   Reply With Quote