View Single Post
Old 5th January 2018, 00:20   #35
Gabbastard
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!

So many things were wrong with this Ive probably forgotten loads, but the ones that spring to mind are: washer jet pipe pushed on the fuel rail as fuel hose (oblivious, I drove it like this! I couldn't see it as its under the plenum); upside down engine mount; lower torque link finger tight; nearside gearbox mount bolted on with one of three studs/nuts; a brake reservoir cap on the radiator; the dashboard held in with one nut top and bottom; the worst timing belt tensioner Ive ever seen, how it never fell apart I don't know.

Anyway.

Managed to source a S2 Rallye carpet from a breaker. Seemed in nice condition, but its pretty minging when you think whats actually in the carpet day to day. Jobby water!

The Rallye has a dedicated space saver as standard, so I thought in for a penny, in for a pound and had it powder coated. Its an affront to the eyes, but fuck it, its original!

Gave the seats a wee spruce up too, and they kind of needed it. I'll give them a proper wet vac soon but theyre far better already.

Made a wee makeshift baking booth when spraying the Gravitex as I didn't fancy it firing everywhere. Also meant I could pap a wee heater in to take the chill off it and dry it out a bit quicker.

Its ultra labour intensive to strip down the whole underside and redo all the coating on it, but it looks amazing and should be rust proof for a very long time]]

I took one of the wheels out the box for a wee looky, and to size one upp on the car. Projects always get a wee boost when you try the interior or wheels on them. Should look pretty beezer I think.

I managed to fluke a buy on ebay: checked on a whim for tyres and someone had four brand new Uniroyals in the correct 175/60/14 size for a mere £70. Ill get them fitted soon.

The car had rosejointed linkages on when I took ownership of it - just remembered, these were fitted incorrectly, behind the bellcrank and arms, wtaf - but I don't like the premise of them, Id rather have the bit of tolerance that standard linkages offer with nylon bushings. Had a wee test of the car and it was murder to get gears. Decided it was probably going to be worth stripping the box to see what state it was in.

126k in and it was pretty pumped; 1-3rd baulk rings were FUCKED, with 4th not much better. 5th gear has a bit of wear, going by the wear on the teeth either dragged about in 5th at 20mph or has spent a cunt of a time in 5th on the mway. The previous owner had fitted a pair of new diff seals, which was nice...but he fitted them backwards.

In the end, 4 new genuine Peugeot baulk rings, and a replacement pinion shaft bottom bearing and input shaft front bearing were the bits required. Pretty glad I did it, as the box had clearly been apart before (by a fucking idiot going by the missing/snapped casing bolts and lack of decent sealant) and the input shaft bearing would have shat itself entirely soon enough.

Got a standard tape deck too from a scrappy, which the previous owner had handily written the code for on the back of. With the rest of the standard crap inside it looks pretty basic and underwhelming, but that's half the fun surely.

Still have a few wee bits and pieces to source, such as screws for the armrests, new number plates etc, but for all intents and purposes its just about done. I need to tweak the hinges for the bonnet too as its way off just now and makes it look shite. Once that's sorted Ill stick the new Rallye decals on.

Last edited by Gabbastard; 5th January 2018 at 00:29.
Gabbastard is offline   Reply With Quote