View Single Post
Old 6th March 2006, 05:42   #39
Simop
Administrator
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Blue Saxo VTS Turbo/White Megane F1 R26
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!

Simon, thanks for all of the great advice!

For my sins, Im a chemical engineer by trade and qualified chemist, so all of the technical info is greatly appreciated. From my point of view - keep it coming!

Regarding my oil requirements...

The car in question is a Saxo VTS, which has been turbocharged. bhp ~ 240bhp @ fly.

The car has been mothballed since December and will be back on the road in the coming weeks, ready for a year of track action. (its my 2nd car)

So, baring in mind the extra abuse and higher oil temps the turbo is likely to generate, what oil would you recommend?

I have a large'ish oil cooler fitted, with no secondary thermostat, so on cold startup, the oil is constantly cooling.

One observation... For a number of years I used Mobil 1 oil, however I observed that the oil tended to seep past the camshaft oil seals?

Now this could have been a seal problem, but I put it down to the low viscosity oil and stopped using it... the problem went away? It was never a large leakage, more of an annoying drip that occasionally needed to be wiped from the camshaft cover joint.

I look forward to your recommendations.

Simo's Turbo Re-build Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme
The Focus is ace! Smooth ride and cheap as chips!
Simo is offline   Reply With Quote