Old 11th February 2018, 20:37   #101
sri_130
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
sri_130 is on a distinguished road
Default Great Success!

!Big update!

Against all the odds and with my very limited mechanical knowledge, the car actually runs with a new heart (and turbo).

I've worked every night for a couple of hours to get it in a position where I could start it during the daytime - as I didn't think the neighbours would appreciate it at night - nor could I see any leaks properly in the dark.

My dad advised removing the plugs and disconnecting the fuel pump after we'd filled up the oil, so there was no compression, just to check the oil pressure.

First crank - NOTHING. Turns out, the trickle charger had not charged my battery at all. Lol.

Jump leads on.
Cranked until we could witness oil getting round.

Put plugs back in, coil pack & fuel pump.
Second crank - NOTHING. Turns out, I'd not connected the inertia switch. Lol.

Third crank - Result. On the first turn, it fired.

Kept it about 3K RPM from the outset and inspected everything for a few minutes. The tapping died down as oil got around and seemed to be OK.

Then did the coolant & bled the system.

Then ran it for about 10 minutes again above 3K RPM and made sure everything was circulating. Oil was getting in and out of the cooler OK and the thermostat opened no problem.

AND THEN....

I noticed I hadn't put the injectors on correctly in the fuel rail and fuel was running down the back of the engine! Idiot. So I stopped at that, made some notes on what I need to remedy for this weeks activities.
I've got the Haynes out, as I can't see what I did wrong with the injectors, but its of no use anyway. I'll just strip it down and probably post on here.

Very pleased though. I've had the turbo 3 years and the car has been off the road for 18 months and finally it is starting to get there.

Hopefully more completion by next weekend.
sri_130 is offline   Reply With Quote