Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 4th August 2008, 22:18   #1
and123rew
Frequent Poster
South Wales Region Member

iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
and123rew is a jewel in the roughand123rew is a jewel in the roughand123rew is a jewel in the roughand123rew is a jewel in the rough
Default help explain some high spec computers!

hi okay basically im looking into getting a new desktop for my university course im going into the third year of architecture now i no enough about computers to get by but im a bit lost and need some help on understanding a few things

i want a good spec computer ive got about 700 to spend due to the computer programmes i use they take up alot of processor ram and graphic power so i need something descent using some of the programmes are like playing a top spec game lol

anyway what is the difference between a desktop pc and a workstation? i've had a look on the net and they say that a top spec pc is about as good as a low end workstation and that a top end workstation is as good as a mini computer does anyone want to elaborate??

also in architecture they use xeon processors what is the difference between for example a duo core 3.0Ghz normal intel processor and a xeon 2.4 duo core because even tho the speed is slower they are so much more expensive!

also if i put up too different computers one desktop pc and one workstation can some one please tell the difference between them, they will be roughly the same price

thanks all!! reps given
normal comp
http://www.europc.co.uk/pages/produc...spx?PID=113388
work station
http://www.europc.co.uk/pages/Produc...aspx?PID=98766
and123rew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 22:58   #2
and123rew
Frequent Poster

and123rew is a jewel in the roughand123rew is a jewel in the roughand123rew is a jewel in the roughand123rew is a jewel in the rough

hasnt anyone got there thinking heads on them tonight lol
Old 4th August 2008, 23:02   #3
Richard_279
Infrequent Poster

Richard_279 is a jewel in the roughRichard_279 is a jewel in the roughRichard_279 is a jewel in the rough

Any examples of the type of prgrams you will be using?

because the workstation has a Nvidia Quadro FX550 graphics card which is mainly used for 3D design and stuff

And the normal pc has a 8800gtx mailny for gaming
Richard_279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 23:09   #4
and123rew
Frequent Poster

okay i will be using autocad mainly for the 2d side of things

then 3d i will be using sketchup 3ds max revit kerkythea and a few others which are rendering programmes also

basically 3ds max revit and autocad are very consumming needs atleast 4gb of ram for proper use aswell as processors etc and then for really nice rendering a good graphics card

Last edited by and123rew; 4th August 2008 at 23:51.
Old 4th August 2008, 23:19   #5
Richard_279
Infrequent Poster

Richard_279 is a jewel in the roughRichard_279 is a jewel in the roughRichard_279 is a jewel in the rough

Well if its ram you need id go for the Xps due to it having 4gb ram, 1tb harddrive space enough for all your work music and personal stuff,and a core 2 quad which i think is quicker than the Xeon in the workstation, and the graphics from the 8800gtx is well enough for general use, can be used for high end gaming, and should be able to take a beating from cad programs,
Sorry if thats a long read
Richard_279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 08:01   #6
MarkyG
Established Member
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): '03 Posi Blue VTS (R.I.P) 11 Plate Peugeot 'thing'
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
MarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to behold

I'd seriously build one from scratch instead of giving Dell the money. Buy the parts separately and then build it up, can get better value for money if you shop around for the good prices

Noticed that neither of these systems come with an O/S, so you will be paying more in the end anyway on top of what they want for either of those systems. I'd go Core2Quad though for definite, and if you want fast RAM for imaging, i'd go for DDR3 Ram. Lightning quick

Girl, There Is No GOD In The Bedroom, It's Just Me
MarkyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 08:44   #7
immense
Established Member
East Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Citroën Saxo VTR
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
immense is a well respected team memberimmense is a well respected team memberimmense is a well respected team memberimmense is a well respected team memberimmense is a well respected team memberimmense is a well respected team memberimmense is a well respected team memberimmense is a well respected team memberimmense is a well respected team memberimmense is a well respected team memberimmense is a well respected team member

Have a look on Overclockers, I got mine from there prebuilt - very high spec mind, worked out only a bit more in cost than to build it myself with the same parts.
Old 5th August 2008, 11:41   #8
Scottp
Administrator
Content ContributorScotland Region Member

Car(s): Chelski Traktor
Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!

Workstations are a different league to desktops (im speaking from an HP point of view here)

In general your looking at more power, better boards, better power supply, error correcting memory and for most who use workstations the most important thing is certification.

Workstations are made to be effectively better at handling proper intensive programs rather than games that you can run on consumer cards like the GTX, workstations are designed to run on more intensive cards and supply the power and cooling to them.

Processors generally your going from the top end core2/core2quad up to Xeons and AMD equivalents.

Workstations always should be using ECC memory, anything that isnt isnt a workstation. Error correcting memory on the face of it doesnt do much but what it might do in terms of a proffessional using the machine makes it invaluable.

Im not saying you couldnt build your own high end desktop and go from there. Your issue is with certifications. The latest editions of Autodesk etc... will ONLY be supported on certified machines. I.e. you can build your beefy machine with your GTX card, if something goes wrong and you ring Autodesk etc... your going to get nothing from them as its A: not a supported graphics card and B: not a supported platform.

if your serious about using the machine yourself to actually do work then read up on your applications and whats certified. If not then buy whatever or build yourself

If you feel something untoward is being posted hit the button at the side of the post.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote