Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Track / Motorsport Prep' > Track Chat

Track Chat This forum is for general chat related to track / motorsport, including photos of builds, etc. Please keep the main forum section based upon technical discussion.

Old 5th November 2010, 20:53   #61
parry121
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): 3 saxo's black GTI now a rebuilt cherry caged GT
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
parry121 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsy View Post
Which Spax kit are you going for?

May i suggest Apex as a better alternative, lil bit more value for money
i was thinking along the lines of spax PSX, what apex kit should i go for

my rebuilt cherry caged GTI
parry121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 21:00   #62
willsy
West Midlands

Car(s): '64 Volvo V40 R’Design, '89 Ph1 309 GTi, ‘97 Mk1 S
iTrader Score: 125 (100%)
willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parry121 View Post
Wouldnt recommend the PSX kit. There has been alot of reports of the dampers failing recently some with not much milage on them atall.

The Spax VSX kit with the non adjustable dampers is better and of course £100 cheaper than the PSX ones, have never heard any problems with them either.

Ive recommended Apex as theyre firmer than the Spax so in theory should offer better performance on track.

Apex with the 35mm springs would be a tidy option. 50mm also pretty good although 35mm is closer to the handling 'ideal' HOWEVER unless you're spending alot of money on other parts of the suspension and pushing the car hard you probably wont notice any difference between the two.
willsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 21:06   #63
nath_vts
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport PrepEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): JDM EP3
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
nath_vts is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As willsy said get the vsx over the psx if your set on the spax kit.

Would you actually even use the adjustability of them at all.

I doubt you would (may be wrong) but save the money and go with the vsx.

Save a little more and get billies though tbh.
nath_vts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 21:08   #64
parry121
Established Member

Quote:
Wouldnt recommend the PSX kit. There has been alot of reports of the dampers failing recently some with not much milage on them atall.

The Spax VSX kit with the non adjustable dampers is better and of course £100 cheaper than the PSX ones, have never heard any problems with them either.

Ive recommended Apex as theyre firmer than the Spax so in theory should offer better performance on track.

Apex with the 35mm springs would be a tidy option. 50mm also pretty good although 35mm is closer to the handling 'ideal' HOWEVER unless you're spending alot of money on other parts of the suspension and pushing the car hard you probably wont notice any difference between the two.

Ok, i was thinking about b6's or b8's but as i just starting i don’t think there any point at the moment. i would go with 35mm to be honest as i know my car is to low at the moment, i will look in to a apex kit now, thanks for all your help

Old 5th November 2010, 21:45   #65
jsdvtr
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

Car(s): 2003 vtr/s
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
jsdvtr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ok, i was thinking about b6's or b8's but as i just starting i don’t think there any point at the moment. i would go with 35mm to be honest as i know my car is to low at the moment, i will look in to a apex kit now, thanks for all your help
Im selling a full apex -50mm kit if interested.
jsdvtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 21:52   #66
parry121
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nath_vts View Post
As willsy said get the vsx over the psx if your set on the spax kit.

Would you actually even use the adjustability of them at all.

I doubt you would (may be wrong) but save the money and go with the vsx.

Save a little more and get billies though tbh.
ok mate thanks

Old 5th November 2010, 21:52   #67
parry121
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdvtr View Post
Im selling a full apex -50mm kit if interested.
PM'D..

Old 5th November 2010, 22:49   #68
Tufty
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Black Furio, Amazon Green VT-S Road Beast
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Tufty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySAXO View Post
i am keeping my heater, things that i will be losing for next year is PAS and ABS, but keep the heater inside, just cutting away some of the dash, and flocking it,

i just want to get to around the 800 markish, 800kg with 166 bhp on very good chassis setup and good tyres will be very quick
800kg mark lol? you told me i would do well to make 850kg when i have gone well extreme lolz.
Old 5th November 2010, 23:15   #69
Harv
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth Wales Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): EP3 Civic Type R
Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
i will be honest with you mate, no it has not but i wont to get it right before I take it round, i know most people will think well what are you doing on this thread, well I was hoping to get some idea's of everyone. Everyone has got to start somewhere
Yep they sure do mate. Re-read my post and it sounds like I'm a twat, I'm not really . My car isn't a great spec at all but it does the job, you would be surprised what a saxo can keep up with. Tyres are a big factor for me, started off on road tyres and then took the plunge and bought some A048's, and to be honest they are amazing. So much quicker through corners and was managing to keep up with a lot faster machinery out there.

I'm only using the Spax PSX kit, I havn't had any problems with it at all. The adjustability side of them is a bit of a gimmick as I don't think I have changed it since setting it up but I find it good value for the money. If I were you I would save up and buy Billies or even AST stuff. They are quite a bit more expensive than the Spax stuff but you get what you pay for!

EP3 Civic Type R - soon to be JRSC'd
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 23:31   #70
parry121
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Yep they sure do mate. Re-read my post and it sounds like I'm a twat, I'm not really . My car isn't a great spec at all but it does the job, you would be surprised what a saxo can keep up with. Tyres are a big factor for me, started off on road tyres and then took the plunge and bought some A048's, and to be honest they are amazing. So much quicker through corners and was managing to keep up with a lot faster machinery out there.

I'm only using the Spax PSX kit, I havn't had any problems with it at all. The adjustability side of them is a bit of a gimmick as I don't think I have changed it since setting it up but I find it good value for the money. If I were you I would save up and buy Billies or even AST stuff. They are quite a bit more expensive than the Spax stuff but you get what you pay for!

Ok mate no worries, .. well i thinking i was thinking b6's or b8's but as i am newbie to this i might go for spax then upgrade when i get better, my mate is selling spax psx front shocks i bought the rears of him last week so i might buy the front just for now, . my treys are proxy 4s on the fronts and t1r's on the rear, (they are a death trap in the wet) i am looking at some Prada spec 2's, my mate works a deamon tweaks so i can get a good discount .

Also what would i was thinking 266 brakes with red stuff pads, would this be a good set up cheers dude

Old 6th November 2010, 14:24   #71
benkelsall
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberCentral South Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberEast Midlands Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
benkelsall is a glorious beacon of lightbenkelsall is a glorious beacon of lightbenkelsall is a glorious beacon of lightbenkelsall is a glorious beacon of lightbenkelsall is a glorious beacon of lightbenkelsall is a glorious beacon of light

Get B8s over B6s. Just get the spax shocks off your mate to start with and see how they feel. Then if you wanted to upgrade to some better look at B8s or coilovers.
As for tyres, set yourself a budget and have a search around to see whats in your price range.
266 brakes with a set of decent pads & discs will work well. iirc the red stuff pads are more for track use, so wouldn't be that good from cold but once got some heat into the pads they'll be alot better. Maybe look at some Mintex M1144s as they'd be better for road use.
benkelsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 18:19   #72
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): oyster card
iTrader Score: 41 (100%)
Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Ok mate no worries, .. well i thinking i was thinking b6's or b8's but as i am newbie to this i might go for spax then upgrade when i get better, my mate is selling spax psx front shocks i bought the rears of him last week so i might buy the front just for now, . my treys are proxy 4s on the fronts and t1r's on the rear, (they are a death trap in the wet) i am looking at some Prada spec 2's, my mate works a deamon tweaks so i can get a good discount .

Also what would i was thinking 266 brakes with red stuff pads, would this be a good set up cheers dude
If you think them toyos are deathtraps then do not get parada's Just because theyre cheap.

I suggest you have a good read around for what poeple think before wasting your money.

Make sure you keep the simple questions out of this section, but maybe make a thread on what brakes etc and hopefully some good in depth answers will be posted in return
Old 6th November 2010, 18:24   #73
adamskiTNR
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Citroen saxo 1.4 furio
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
adamskiTNR is on a distinguished road

Preferably not "what brakes" but something a little more specific
Old 6th November 2010, 19:23   #74
willsy
West Midlands

willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!

I cannot stress enough, do not bother with Spax PSX dampers, certainly not 2nd hand ones.

Yet another person came to us today for lowering having bought some 2nd hand struts containing Spax PSX dampers. Supposedly low milage and good condition.

Stripped the struts down and damper fluid was absolutely everywhere. Not doubting the low milage either, they looked spot on, but seals absolutely shagged and lots of play.
Old 7th November 2010, 22:17   #75
gavin_t
Established Member

Car(s): 1999 mk2 VTS EP3 2004 civic type r
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
gavin_t is on a distinguished road

Im with Harv A048s are epic. did my first day with some yesterday at oulton and they were epic

did a good bit of elise chasing and they still felt like they had more in reserve. Were even quite good in the rain in the afternoon once they had a bit of heat
gavin_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 14:21   #76
Harv
Saxperience Forum Bum

Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!Harv is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin_t View Post
Im with Harv A048s are epic. did my first day with some yesterday at oulton and they were epic

did a good bit of elise chasing and they still felt like they had more in reserve. Were even quite good in the rain in the afternoon once they had a bit of heat
Haha awesome!! They are worth every penny in reality, just seems a bit expensive when £430 goes out your bank account for a set of rubber

At Oulton, I couldn't find the point where they were beginning to 'let go'. It was a warm day and perfectly dry though but each lap was getting quicker and quicker and the level of grip felt the same .

Willsy, my Spax PSX dampers are fine, I do inspect them every 2 months or so though when I have parts off the car. As you say though, there are a lot better kits out there.. I only bought the Spax stuff due to being on a tight budget with uni and all, think I paid £140 delivered for them brand new off ebay and they are awesome for that price!

Old 8th November 2010, 16:15   #77
willsy
West Midlands

Quote:
Willsy, my Spax PSX dampers are fine, I do inspect them every 2 months or so though when I have parts off the car. As you say though, there are a lot better kits out there.. I only bought the Spax stuff due to being on a tight budget with uni and all, think I paid £140 delivered for them brand new off ebay and they are awesome for that price!
Harv, at £150 are you sure you dont have the VSX dampers instead (non adjustable ones which are £230 usually with springs) as the PSX ones are the adjustables which are £300+.

VSX ones im yet to heard of any issues with so certainly they are much more reliable and better quality for much cheaper price.
Old 8th November 2010, 18:14   #78
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Seat Mii Toca/VW Polo Gti 6c 1.8 turbo
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
hard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of light

Or do what im doing and getting a clio 200 lol
Awesome awesome brakes and chassis!
hard_corejoeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hard_corejoeboy For This Useful Post:
Old 8th November 2010, 18:57   #79
Harv
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Harv, at £150 are you sure you dont have the VSX dampers instead (non adjustable ones which are £230 usually with springs) as the PSX ones are the adjustables which are £300+.

VSX ones im yet to heard of any issues with so certainly they are much more reliable and better quality for much cheaper price.
Nope I definitely have the PSX ones, I have a little tool thing/adjuster to alter the stiffness on the fronts (on the topmount retaining nut), then just a slot for a flat head screwdriver on the rear.

I bought mine off ebay, there were loads knocking around 7 or 8 months ago for £150, I think Halfords got 'rid' of all their stock and sold them to their employees for a couple of quid. Obviously stuck them on ebay and made some profit out of them

EDIT: They are like £350-£380 on ebay now. To be honest I wouldn't pay anywhere near that for them, £150 is reasonable for what your getting but for £380 I would rather save another £200 or so and buy Billie Group N's or even AST's (if they ever came )

Old 8th November 2010, 20:28   #80
gavin_t
Established Member

Car(s): 1999 mk2 VTS EP3 2004 civic type r
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
gavin_t is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Haha awesome!! They are worth every penny in reality, just seems a bit expensive when £430 goes out your bank account for a set of rubber

At Oulton, I couldn't find the point where they were beginning to 'let go'. It was a warm day and perfectly dry though but each lap was getting quicker and quicker and the level of grip felt the same .

Cant wait to give them a go on a fully dry warm day

If you skip the first couple of warm up laps this is them in the damp and I am not pushing them to their limits at all still as I was still learning the track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3n9paXlRGI
gavin_t is offline   Reply With Quote