Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Health and Fitness...

Health and Fitness... Discussions relating to health, fitness and general well being should be discussed within this forum...

Old 1st January 2014, 20:34   #1
Yates
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): MK1 - 1.1 Animal
iTrader Score: 19 (95%)
Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!
Default Sets and Reps For Bulking

So thinking I want to put on some size, reading up on it, seeing different things, people saying go light, heavy, heavy.

Just want to know what you lot do? And what reps? Was reading and people say about doing 6/8 reps
Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2014, 20:39   #2
JA1987
L-plater

Car(s): Slammed Passat Wagon Touran Family Bus
JA1987 is on a distinguished road

I do 3 sets of 8 reps, heavy weights or 5x5 when trying to improve on my chest press.
JA1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JA1987 For This Useful Post:
Old 1st January 2014, 22:04   #3
Giraffe
Saxperience Addict

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Giraffe is on a distinguished road

8-10 reps, 3-4 sets is about right for hypertrophy, but I would still have heavy days to build the thicker fibres that give good density. Experiment though, everyone is different.
Giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Giraffe For This Useful Post:
Old 1st January 2014, 22:08   #4
Yates
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!

What would you do on a heavy day?
Old 1st January 2014, 22:10   #5
L33h
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): Clio 182, Fireblade GSX-R 750
L33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud of

Couple of light sets to get the blood into the muscles then 2 heavy sets of about 5 or 6 reps
L33h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 06:51   #6
Gashman
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Icelandic Furio
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Gashman is on a distinguished road

4 sets 8-12 reps, heavy weight

Push, pull training is very good
Gashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 08:37   #7
Giraffe
Saxperience Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yates View Post
What would you do on a heavy day?
Compound lifts like deadlifts, squats, bench, OHP, rows etc.
Old 2nd January 2014, 13:00   #8
Yates
Saxperience Hardcore!

You do that all in one day or splits?
Old 2nd January 2014, 13:08   #9
Giraffe
Saxperience Addict

A few ways you could go about it I guess. Could just focus on doing one each day with assistance exercises afterwards, which would be about the 8 - 10 reps and 4 sets, but the big movements I'd stick to heavy weight low reps high sets.

Or you could go heavyish and do say deadlift and OHP one day, squats and rows another, sort of like 5x5.

I'm going to experiment a bit when I start training again, probably with the first method I reckon.
Old 2nd January 2014, 13:09   #10
Ryancoyle
Established Member

Car(s): Volkswagen Bora 170bhp
Ryancoyle is on a distinguished road

Don't think it makes a difference to be honest whether you go heavy or light. Just eat right, carb up and make sure your doing the weight properly i.e. full contraction etc.
Ryancoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 13:18   #11
McGuire86
Saxperience Post Whore
South West Region Member

Car(s): '08 Civic Type R GT FN2
McGuire86 is on a distinguished road

8-10 compounds 10-12 isolates 4 sets upper body

10-12 compounds 12-15 isolates 4 sets lower body

Keep it simple. Consistency is what gets you results.
Old 2nd January 2014, 15:47   #12
Yates
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryancoyle View Post
Don't think it makes a difference to be honest whether you go heavy or light. Just eat right, carb up and make sure your doing the weight properly i.e. full contraction etc.
So you think to bulk up go light? Really?

Going to look more into the compound and isolation moves.

Cheers Dave n Mac
Old 2nd January 2014, 16:08   #13
e8_pqck
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): AX 16v Turbo
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
e8_pqck is on a distinguished road

If you want to get big, get strong, its that simple really.

I use rest pause, so max out 6-8 reps, 20 sec rest, 3 to 4 reps, 20 secs rest, then 1 to 2 reps to finish. I work up to that set through warmups first.

Most importantly write everything down and try and hit some PB's. Once you beat yourself you'll get bigger.
e8_pqck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 16:11   #14
e8_pqck
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuire86 View Post
8-10 compounds 10-12 isolates 4 sets upper body

10-12 compounds 12-15 isolates 4 sets lower body

Keep it simple. Consistency is what gets you results.
Tjhats on the verge of pumping up. You need to get strong and you'll only do that through weight and heavy compounds not isolating.

Consistency will always bring results, but you'll get better results by getting strong.

As Ronnie says: Everyone wants to get big, but don't no body want to lift some heavy as weights...
Old 2nd January 2014, 16:37   #15
Yates
Saxperience Hardcore!

Haha i just seen that quote on ronnies Twitter. So the rest pause a with same weight? And what reps and sets do you do as a warm up? What kind of weight?
Old 2nd January 2014, 16:48   #16
McGuire86
Saxperience Post Whore
South West Region Member

Car(s): '08 Civic Type R GT FN2
McGuire86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by e8_pqck View Post
Tjhats on the verge of pumping up. You need to get strong and you'll only do that through weight and heavy compounds not isolating.

Consistency will always bring results, but you'll get better results by getting strong.

As Ronnie says: Everyone wants to get big, but don't no body want to lift some heavy as weights...
There's nothing wrong with throwing in isolations to contemplate your compounds and round off the routine, bringing up lagging body parts etc.

You will get strong doing what I suggested, those extra reps will break down the muscle tissue even more forcing you to grow.
Old 3rd January 2014, 07:11   #17
e8_pqck
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yates View Post
Haha i just seen that quote on ronnies Twitter. So the rest pause a with same weight? And what reps and sets do you do as a warm up? What kind of weight?
Yeh, same max weight. You want to be screaming that last rep off so get a spotter. it really overloads you doing the rest pause and keeps the numbers down so you can try and beat them next time.

trying to beat high numbers leads to bouncing or getting mechanical advantage early on as you try to conserve something later on, i know because i've done it. If its heavy from the start you can't do that. 12-14 will never be heavy from the start! you just can't do that many reps, it only gets hard on the last 5.

I'm saying all this but i actually do do more isolation exercises at lower weight, mostly because after 20 years in the gym i seem to get injured easily these days so im just trying to stay fitter - but i know what you need to do to get bigger, get strong, nothing else will come close. Sure you can get bigger doing reps and "pumping up" but you'll get way more out of lifting a big fuck off weight thats HARD WORK! lol

Drop sets are also good for overloading. I throw them in sometimes. If you ont have a spotter use a smyth for chest and really load some plates on - you can go really heavy then and it's quite safe but i usually do warm ups on the bench upto a couple of plates.
The Following User Says Thank You to e8_pqck For This Useful Post:
Old 3rd January 2014, 09:13   #18
Yates
Saxperience Hardcore!

I always train alone at home only problem.

Need to start writting it all down now too i guess. Never been too bothered about size, but Gona be away a lot so training a lot.

Going to have to stock up on protein shakes too. Never Gona get enough protein n that from works food
Old 3rd January 2014, 13:04   #19
e8_pqck
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Your a sailor right?

I work away and i take BioRhythm supps with me. The Square Meal is really nice, mango or watermelon both taste awesome and go a long way. The post training stuff (afterglow) lasts ages, i blend a shake with crushed ice and use 1 scoop of the watermelon Square Meal with 1 scoop of the watermelon Afterglow, it tastes amazing and way better than gloopy protein in standard flavours.
Old 3rd January 2014, 14:56   #20
K17NEY
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth Wales Region Member

Car(s): FQ Volvo V70R Peugeot Partner
K17NEY is on a distinguished road

Always 3-4 sets of 8 for me, As heavy as I can, Without affecting form obviously.
I occasionally throw in the a super set/monster set when things get boring.
K17NEY is offline   Reply With Quote