Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 15th January 2007, 23:49   #1
_VTR_
L-plater

Car(s): 1999 silver vts lowered,pipercross,de-cat,ashley e
_VTR_ can only hope to improve
Default advancing timing

My mates always always talking about doing his timing for extra power on his primera gt, he wont shut up about it, is this possible on a vtr?or more to the point would it do anything?
_VTR_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 23:51   #2
hesslevtr
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): 1.6 vtr
hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!

would need an adjustable vernier pully for starters

and you wont see miricales with it

my for sale ad
hesslevtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 23:52   #3
_VTR_
L-plater

never c any of that done to any cars on here, what sort of gains would you see?
Old 15th January 2007, 23:56   #4
hesslevtr
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): 1.6 vtr
hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!

froma standard cam none would need an uprated 1

i doubt you would see any gain to be honest well you wouldnt feal it

my for sale ad
hesslevtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 17:08   #5
_VTR_
L-plater

Would you need adjustable pullies to do ignition timing?
Old 16th January 2007, 17:31   #6
williamsvts
Saxperience Post Whore
North East Region Member

Car(s): pulsar gtir, mk4 astra sxi
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!

no, you need a remap to do ignition timing.
williamsvts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 17:34   #7
_VTR_
L-plater

ahh right thanks, yer i meant ignition timing not cams or anything, so its an ecu thing not something mechanical you can do then?
Old 16th January 2007, 17:59   #8
stiffler69
Saxperience Post Whore

iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
stiffler69 is as cool as a cucumber!stiffler69 is as cool as a cucumber!stiffler69 is as cool as a cucumber!stiffler69 is as cool as a cucumber!stiffler69 is as cool as a cucumber!stiffler69 is as cool as a cucumber!stiffler69 is as cool as a cucumber!stiffler69 is as cool as a cucumber!stiffler69 is as cool as a cucumber!stiffler69 is as cool as a cucumber!stiffler69 is as cool as a cucumber!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesslevtr View Post
froma standard cam none would need an uprated 1

i doubt you would see any gain to be honest well you wouldnt feal it
The garage who mapped my car recons by doing the valve timing on a car you can sometimes see around 8-10 bhp extra weather he meant bigger more powerful cars or just in general i dont know.
stiffler69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 12:48   #9
Ax_beefy
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Citroen AX VTS
Ax_beefy is a name known to allAx_beefy is a name known to allAx_beefy is a name known to allAx_beefy is a name known to allAx_beefy is a name known to allAx_beefy is a name known to all

If you advance the timing on a standard TU engine it will have little or no effect, the cam is designed in a certain way and although there might be a slight adjustment between factory timing holes and true TDC it will not be enough to see you anymore than standard power as that is purely a factory tested figure on a brand new engine at its peak point of life. The only reason to advance timing on a TU is if you have an uprated cam, but on an 8v you will need a vernier (it is possible on 16v without the vernier but they are better). Ignition timing would see an increase but as said this would need a re-map

WWW.AXOWNERSCLUB.COM
Ax_beefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 15:13   #10
_VTR_
L-plater

Thanks guys, appreciate the help, newer cars are too controlled by the ecu, my mates going to do his primera by mechaniacly adjusting the distributer.
Old 17th January 2007, 22:15   #11
williamsvts
Saxperience Post Whore
North East Region Member

williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!

does he actually know what he is doing and how is he going to measure the results?
Old 17th January 2007, 22:41   #12
_VTR_
L-plater

i think he does, seems to, spends waaay too much time researching cars and stuff and measuring the results is pointless in my opinion, its not an f1 car,lol if your car drives a bit better then good
Old 17th January 2007, 22:59   #13
williamsvts
Saxperience Post Whore
North East Region Member

measuring the results is pointless in my opinion

so how do you know if it has done you car any good? ubless you are gaining about 15hp + then you wont feel the difference.
Old 17th January 2007, 23:08   #14
_VTR_
L-plater

you don't lol im assuming though that you'd feel better response if not overall power, i felt a change in the way the engine felt just with an induction kit and i prob got 0.01 bhp gain,lol remember were talking about nissan's and citroens here, as much as i love them its not really worth spending too much on them.
Old 18th January 2007, 10:18   #15
williamsvts
Saxperience Post Whore
North East Region Member

how isnt it worth spending much on them?
Old 18th January 2007, 13:54   #16
_VTR_
L-plater

well theyre great little cars but they not exactly f1 cars or ferrari's or lambos, i know obviously not everyone can afford cars like that i can't and never will probably but spending thousands of your pounds on a citroen saxo when you could have saved that for a nice merc or something or if its performance you're after an evo or impreza or something, ive got nothing agenst saxo's at all or i wouldnt have got one but realisticly thinking theyre not worth spending thousands on.
Old 18th January 2007, 16:28   #17
williamsvts
Saxperience Post Whore
North East Region Member

a saxo can be quicker than imprezas round some tracks, and plenty other bigger more expensive cars.
Old 18th January 2007, 17:41   #18
saxo_vtr1234
Established Member
East Anglia Region Member

Car(s): saxo vtr silver
saxo_vtr1234 will become famous soon enoughsaxo_vtr1234 will become famous soon enough

a-men to that brother but thats part of the fun geting a standard car and makeing it quicker (well in my veiw) any way mercs are gay (well most of them )
Old 18th January 2007, 17:48   #19
williamsvts
Saxperience Post Whore
North East Region Member

exactly, impreza and tvr couldnt keep up with me round cadwell park.
Old 19th January 2007, 13:52   #20
_VTR_
L-plater

Depends what you like really, i mean as a track car yer theyre great for little tracks like cadwell park as its really snakey track, little cars are great for that, even thought you could have saved the money and bought like an aerial atom or something like that but i mean over sort of like 100mph the saxo's not going to win because it just cant keep up, even if you spend tons and tons thers a limit and its not really that high and for everyday use id much rather a bigger car like an evo or an impreza because you can live with it, well an impreza u can evo's are apparently harder to live with. I spose it depends really on how dedicated to motorsport, even then i cant justify spending too much on what is and always will be a citroen, just my opinion thought, its not right or wrong just personaly can't justify it.